Thread: What age do they go from a car seat to a booster seat?

Question What age do they go from a car seat to a booster seat?

Hey guys

Does anyone know when roughly (I know it probably depends on the brand/type of car seat- i think ours is a Safe n Sound, premier retractor) kids can from a car seat to a booster seat?

Thanks

It depends on their weight more than anything. My DD1 is fairly average and is almost 15kg at nearly 3. She can legally sit in either a booster or a normal car seat. I am highly unlikely to stop using the normal car seat harness in my car before she hits 18kg. DH has a booster cushion and H harness in his car for the occasional trip she takes in his car, but that is a maximum of once a week.

Thanks Ali, interesting.
    Yeh, I wouldn't want our DD to sit in a booster seat at around 15kgs either. Bit too little.
    Now I've got another question for you!- Do you know how wide your booster cushion is?..As in, is it a lot narrower then the car seat, or similar to the car seat in width?

We bought a toddler seat for our Pip, it will do him to age six apparently. Also Safe'n'sound, can't remember the model

My 5 yr old (20ish kgs) still sits in a car seat - her Maxi rider, with lapsash.

I personally dont feel comfortable with the booster seats (where they use a lapsash or normal seat belt). I prefer the ones that anchor bolt to the car. Personal preference though......

Lee it is narrower than the capsule, so would be good for the situations where 1 of you has a little car for short trips and is rarely used for the kids. But is is only the seat part, it has no back and would be best used with a H harness. I won't use it in daily use, it is just an emergency thing for us. It is only used in the middle too.

Jackson is almost 4 and weighs 15 kg, he doesn't weigh much for his age but he is tall. He went in his booster at about 3.5yo. It is just a plain everyday booster but is used with a H harness bolted just like a carseat. It is actually against safety standards to use them just with a seat belt, but people still use them just with a seatbelt, I presume because it is cheaper.

DS weighs approx 16kgs.. has for about a year now. We put him in a booster with a harness when he was about 2yrs & 3 months old i think. He sits in it fine. Only issue he has is when he falls asleep as its more upright than the baby car seat but its not too bad.

Noah weighs about 13kg, hasn't been weighed for 2months now (he is 20months today!) DH and I both have convertible car seats that go from birth-18kg which he is still in. I am about the pick up a layby with 2 convertible booster seats (one for each car) because I am a month of being due today with ds2! The ones we have on layby have a 6point harnesss and are suitable from 8kg-26kg I definitely wouldn't put Noah in a booster seat that is just used with the normal seat belt.

We felt the convertible booster seat was the best option rather than getting additional carseats we had the convertible booster that would be just as safe as the carseat forward facing but last up to 26kg like all other booster seats