Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what age is it ok??

Fee Guest

I can't imagine I'd ever want to let DS on a bike! Maybe teenage years? High school age?

My husband has just bought a quad bike for my sons 9th birthday, i was really against it but think thats maybe because i don;t know how to have fun these days and worry about risks too much.

I really hate the idea of them having anythng to do with motorbikes though, in one summer 3 of my then boyfriends friends died in bike accidents, that was really too much to handle.

Taz

I remember my Dad used to take me on the front of his bike on the petrol tank when I was really young and then on the back when I was a bit older and it was such a treat. DH sold his bike when my Yasin bump got to a size that I couldn't sit behind him comfortably any more but if he still had it I would let him take Yasin and Imran for little joy rides on it because I loved it so when I was a child. Of course there are risks in it but I've always been one for risky behaviour lol. I geuss we all have our comfort zones and if it's not within your comfort zone then it's ok to put your foot down.

i was really against it but think thats maybe because i don;t know how to have fun these days and worry about risks too much.
    Thats so me! I'm trying to change that at the moment, lol. Trying to let loose a little.

Oh my gosh ...I must be a nervous nancy as I would say never hehe...But I have no bike riders in the family. I think though if I did I would be saying 13 ..kinda like a welcome to being a teenager thing.

Yep 10 sounds good to me. My DD is 13 and she wants to get a motor bike and im saying no no no no. Then she says to DH can I. He said cant afford to get one. Then DD says if we could can I and he says yes. Hmmmm. She wants a trail bike because the boys up the road who she hangs out with have them. She wants to go to the bike track and ride with them. Awwwww sheesh...No I dont want her too....

Boys 10 but hmmm dont know about girls. thought id add that...lol

i was really against it but think thats maybe because i don;t know how to have fun these days and worry about risks too much.
    That is also so me, but I had to change pretty quickly as DH started taking Matthew on the farm bike from about 10 months of age, now at 22 months he absolutely loves it and Mummy still worries, he`s also been on the quad a couple of times.

DH has Matthew sitting in front of him and hooks his own legs over the top off Matthew`s so Matthew is quite safe and he always ridea the bike slowly.

I`ve probably put my life on the line here saying this.

As for a road bike, DH has only just taken DSS#1 out on it recently and he`s nearly 14, he didn`t think he was old enough before now to contemplate taking him.

Personally I don't like two wheeled motorbikes of any type...they are too dangerous... That said, I grew up on bikes of all sorts from a VERY young age since my dad is a huge bike lover (and later bought a Honda shop of his own). I have never been into motorbikes much yet I love go-karts and race cars etc.

Anyway, I will not let Riley be on a motorbike at such a young age...although I don't know how successful I'll be with that one since my dad will surely sneak him on for a ride at some stage. I think that to ride a pee-wee 50 or similar under 10 years old is okay if they have the appropriate safety gear and if the bike won't go too fast (ie rev-limited) & the child must be 'mature' enough to ride too...argh, I'm in 2 minds about it because of my upbringing!!!

PS My dad is already building Riley a go-kart of his own...yikes! Apparently it will go very slow but I'll still have to check it out before he'll be allowed in it...but I do think that learning to ride/drive at a young age is a good thing for later down the track...

Well it looks as though DH wants to get a postie bike (PSML!) so there would be no room to safely have any of the kids on it so problem solved!

LOL I can't believe he wants to ride a postie bike hehehe

Hehe, we used to ride on the back of the postie bikes when we were kids...I don't know if they still have them but they used to have a luggage carrier thing on the back (a flat bit) that we would sit on... Very naughty!

(how on earth did we all survive childhood? I'm even scared to let someone carry Riley while walking around?!! Haha!)

Even found a sticker that says "If I am going to hell, I am going on a Postie"

DH is a postie, he wants a postie bike to race LOL They actually have postie bike racing believe it or not.

I know, DH was telling me about it. There is a website about it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12