Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age is it safe to give baby pillow?

Default At what age is it safe to give baby pillow?

DS is one now and just wondering if it would be safe to have a pillow in his cot, or should i wait? Is there a recommended age?
    Thanks

Ally, I am not sure what the recommended age is, but we gave Olivia one when she was 11 months, but I had it tucked under the bottom sheet, so I knew she couldn't actually get her head buried under it, IYKWIM?

Then at 14 months she had it as a freestanding item in her cot....

We'll most likely do the same for Charlie..........

We gave Matilda a pillow when she went into the big girl bed at 16 months. We figured she could climb out of the cot & was big enough to have one, but I do think the recommended age is 2. I'm not sure where I got that impression but that's what I thought.

We've just given Emily one at 19 months.
    I thought the "recommended age" was two as well.

I waited until Aidyn was 25 months until we gave him a junior pillow.
    It was just the other week actually... and from the first night/morning he had it, he has started to sleep in to 6.30 every morning, so thats one extra hours sleep in - instead of the previous 5.30am... strange coincidence? Or maybe he is just so comfy he doesnt want to wake up!

I`ve read recently the recommended age to give them pillows is between 2 - 3 years.

Thanks Guys,
    I think i will wait till he is at least 2 now!!

Stormi Guest

Hmmmm, I always thought the "safe" age they could have a pillow was 12 months. That's when it's safe, though, not necessarily recommended. I think they say don't give them a pillow for as long as possible though. Can't remember when my boys had pillows, I think when they moved into a bed they got one of those junior pillows.

Always makes me laugh how cot sheet sets come with this gigantic pillowcase! They could almost make another sheet out of the material used just to make the pillowcase..

Kameron got a junior pillow at the age of 2, which has now been passed onto Lachlan. Kameron who is now 4 has a normal pillow.

Love

Tilly didn't have one until she moved into her bed which was when she was almost 4. Didn't see the point before hand and she certainly didn't mind xo

We gave one to Mackenzie when she moved into a bed so about 21 months but I bought a really low one and he loves it.

Ummm, seems I gave Olivia one early........I might add that it was a very flat one, and the reason for giving it to her is that she was VERY slow on the sitting up/rolling over thing, and would often fall asleep sitting up and then wake herself up by falling over, LOL, hence we gave her a pillow to cushion the fall.......

Zander has had his since about 11 months as well. He had a cold so we put a regular pillow under the mattress to keep him elevated & he seemed wuite happy with it. So when he was better we went out & bought him a cot pillow & he loves it. Drags it round the house if we let him LOL!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Ally, I am not sure what the recommended age is, but we gave Olivia one when she was 11 months, but I had it tucked under the bottom sheet, so I knew she couldn't actually get her head buried under it, ..

hi i did what lucy did under the sheet it worked well just made sure it was made good before every sleep

Hmmm my bad - Louis has a pillow now but he actually has been sleeping so much better with it.....He's not a big wriggler in bed though and is in the same place all night so I don't stress too much. When he wakes up he rolls straight over and crawls or stands up now anyway.....

Last night Indah screamed & vomited all night long (well til just after 2am).
    She'd fall asleep on my chest but as soon as she was laying she'd scream (making me wonder if it is an ear infection?)
    Anyways I ened up putting the tri pillow between DH & I in our bed & she sleeps on her tummy, so up on her tummy laying in the crease of the pillow with her upper body elevated she slept soundly all night (well til I had to get up for work at 5:30am)
    I might try Lucy's trick & put a pillow under her sheet & see if that helps? I am taking her to DR soon....

Poor Indah - I hope she feels better soon! Isn't funny that she felt better sleeping on the pillow? You just never know whats going to work though I suppose.....

We gave the girls a big girl pillow when they moved to a bed...they just thought it was sooo grown up. We will do the same with Sammy.

Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast