Thread: What was this all about?

Default What was this all about?

Okay so DS usually goes to bed betwen 6pm - 7pm, closer to 7pm but depends on what has happened in the afternoon. After having a really hard time with him in the early days he has been going pretty much straight to sleep for the last 6 months. He turned one a few weeks ago where the separation anxiety hit a peak!

So last night as usual I put him to bed about 6:45pm, but he just sobbed his little heart out. Wasn't trying to get out, wasn't standing at his cot side, no throwing dummies or his bunny (which he will do if not ready for sleep!), just sitting in the corner crying hysterically.

I tried leaving him for a bit, rocking him, Panadol, another BF, patting in the cot, some Calm stuff, sending DH in, singing, cuddles, just sitting in his room...not neccesarily in that order. He just cried harder! I felt really sorry for him.

I didn't know what to do! I got him up about 8:10pm as I had no idea what to do next. He calmed down instantly & had a bit of quiet play for maybe 20 mins. Was getting quite excited & I wasn't sure how he was going to settle after this! However I put him back in bed at 8:30pm & he fell asleep straight away.

What was this all about? Is it a developmental thing that is going to keep happening? Is it a sign I should put him to bed later? He did sleep a little longer this morning which is also unusual as he is an early bird! Should I not get him up for a play next time?

Thanks in advance.

firstly. hugs.

its a hard thing when they do something out of the ordinary.

tay used to this every now and then, the only thing i could put it down to was her being stubborn lol
    she just didnt want to go and wanted soem mroe mummy and daddy time.
    we found it would happen if fro a couple fo days we were really busy or her routine was put out a little bit each day it woudl just build up with her
    she is still teh same now.
    though a book and a torch help her now lol

Thanks Kawazuki, you raised a good point. DH very recently broke his hand and although he is here, he is not his normal "Daddy self" - maybe he is missing that?

He has actually done it again this afternoon! Just sat in his cot sobbing with his eyes shut. Again I tried everything but he just cried louder and harder. He is obviously tired but I didn't know what to do so just gave up and got him up!