Thread: What to buy a 17 month old for Xmas

elly Guest

Default What to buy a 17 month old for Xmas

Hi everyone,

I'm just interested to read what other people are buying for their kids for xmas.

I find that my 17 month old ds isn't that interested in toys.
    He loves books and recently plastic kitchenwear( i mean he reeeaaallly loves the kitchenwear) he also loves the sandpit which he is going to get from family. We are getting him a plastic cubby with a slide from Target which i know he will enjoy but i'm not sure if there is anything else that i haven't thought of that kids this age would like.

He has trucks and cars but is not interested in them at all... is that just because of his age?

We are also going to get him a table and chair set (not for xmas). Are these very popular?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LOL my DS is a similar age (18 months) but I have to admit his absolute favourite toys are his cars, lol... oh and he loves balls too. However all kids are different, and will like different things.
    We are also getting him a sandpit for Christmas, and a big Tonka truck which he can play in there with.

Do you think your DS might like some sort of musical instruments? We bought our DS a $25 kit from toyworld which had a tamborine, bells, maracas (shakers), triangle, mini cymbals, etc. He also loves having a play with my glockenspiel (xylophone) which I had when I was learning percussion as a child. I think you can get cheap xylophones at toyworld too...

Have you thought of a swing maybe? We bought a $15 baby swing (suitable from 1-4 yrs I think) from Kmart(Big W has them too) and it just attached to the rafters on our patio... very easy and he loves it!

We dont have a table & chair set for him yet, but are definately thinking of getting one.

Custardtart Guest

Heh, Ambah has taken all my ideas! The first things I thought of were musical instruments and Tonka Trucks. The other thing I wondered is I know a couple of young boys who got very attached to black plush puppydogs as a sleeping companion.

Kerrie

I had some more ideas lastnight in bed... lol

Do you have any building blocks? I know Toyworld/Big W have little wooden push along trolleys filled with blocks for about $20.
    Also, another of Aidyn's absolute favourite toys is his push along lawn-mower. He take it with him nearly every time he goes outside and will push it around anywhere and everywhere... he love it!

Olivia was 17 months when we had Charlie and as such was given a lot of gifts.......the table and chair setting is a great idea: she LOVES sitting at hers to do drawing.......

From about that age Olivia really started to enjoy drawing so we got her a couple of big pads of butcher paper and a whole heap of crayons......she will happily sit & scribble for hours, & it is so cute when they bring you one of their creations!

elly Guest

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions.

I have thought about some drawing things but i wasnt sure about it as i thought he may have been too young but if i supervise him i think he might really like it.

Also the tonka truck sounds good, he will need something to play in the sandpit with...although when i pick him up from child care and he is in the sandpit he plays with old pots and pans and of course kitchen utensils(his favourite).

Also i was wondering...would anyone buy their boy a tea set?
    I thought as he is getting a table and chair set he may really like a tea set to go with the table/chair set as he is obsessed with anything that belongs in the kitchen.

Thanks again