Thread: What to buy a one year old little girl?

Default What to buy a one year old little girl?

As you can see from my ticker, our little girl is turning 1 in less than a month. Question is what to buy her?? She has sooo many fisher price toys from xmas, so many toys infact from xmas that i really dont want to go down that path again. Plus she has a 3 yr old sister that (at the moment LOL ) lets her play with her toys.
    I was thinking of something for outdoors.......is a 1 year old too young for a sandpit? Like would she constantly be eating the sand ??

The gold babys bracelet is looking good at this stage, but still, i would have liked something for her to play with.....outside..

suggestions???

Kirsty77 Guest

OMG Gemma would have loved a sand box!! I think thats a great idea. Gemma loves playing in the sand box at daycare.

Sand pit is a good idea. We are planning on buying Riley one of those trikes you can strap them into and push along then as they get older they can pedal themselves. I have seen Eurotrike ones in a toy shop near us, they are about $150 I think. The guy said they are designed for one and over. Its really hard to know what to buy them at that age cause they don't really "need" anything do they! I got DD#1 a hardcover edition of A May Gibbs book and wrote in it for her 1st birthday but didn't for DD#2 which is a bit slack of me!

LOL - its a ritual every wednesday afternoon that we dust my DD#1 down outside the kindy before she gets in the car because she is covered in sand !!! Thats the only thing thats putting me off........sand getting in my house.

Ah, for your DD... for someone else's baby I'd have said a box! Maybe with some packing if you really want to see the child go wild.

Maybe a paddling pool rather than a sandpit? (packed well in a box?)

What about one of the clam shell type sandboxes. One side is filled with sand and the other side can either be used as a lid (to keep sand clean) or when open filled with water for paddling. We gave one to DS for his first birthday. It is his absolute favourite thing. He spends ages out there every day. We only fill it with water as a special treat on really hot days. The rest of the time it has sand in one half and the "water" side is kept empty and is used as a lid. Works really well. Most of my mother's group friends have daughters and they are all equally enthralled with our sandpit. It would be a definite hit.

Yep, anoother calm shell recommendation here........we bought one for Olivia for her
    1st b'day and it is still going strong as as sand-pit/paddling pool. And when turned upside down a stage.....Olivia stands a top of it and "performs".........LOL (Current favourite is "Fairy Boot Scooting".......I kid you not..)
    Last edited by Lucy; January 26th, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby got a sandpit for her first birthday and she loved it There were times when she'd try to eat the sand but it wasn't too bad... it wasn't like it was the only thing she would do. She has the clam shells - they work brilliantly!
    We had to dump the sand when we moved and we've yet to buy more sand but we've used the clam shells as a wading pool while it's been hot

She also got a beautiful bracelet from my Pop and a gorgeous little necklace from her God parents. Just beautiful little gifts that we'll treasure forever.