Thread: What can I do??

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Default What can I do??

Hey,
    Me..again
    I need some help with DD's sleeping
    She sleeps awesome during the night, between feeds, ill feed her, burp her, change nappy, put her down in her cot. She will be still awake but tired, and will go to sleep no protesting..(sometimes i get 5-6 hours between feeds if im lucky some nights)
    But my real problem is..during the day time. She wakes, i feed her, change her nappy, have play time with her, i put her in her cot when she shows tired signs, she knows and before she even lays in her cot she is crying full bawl red face and everything.
    I at first thought it was because the room was too light, so i got curtains that make the room dark enough, this helps me a tiny bit coz it means she isnt up at 6:30am, she now gets up around 9-10ish (so it gives her one more sleep period).
    At first it didnt really bother me, but its bothering me now because she now gets cranky as all h3ll towards the end of the day, and it means i dont get her into her night sleep pattern til 9/10pm, whereas before id get her into her sleep pattern at 6/7pm.
    I have a HAB which is awesome, but i dont want her to get into a habit of sleeping on me, i want to break this habit soon while she is still young.
    Ive tried rocking her, walking around with her in my arms, singing, music, baiscally everything, but when i put her in her cot when she is finally asleep, she knows, and is crying and wide awake again..

I just dont get it, why can she do it at night, but during the day she just fights sleep as much as she can..
    Yesterday i got so frustrated and left her in her cot crying for 5 mins (she was fed and clean nappy and comfy, swaddled nice and snug) and after 5 mins i picked her up cuddled her til she settled, i put her down and when she started getting grizzly i put her dummy in her mouth and patted her on her chest til she started doing droopy eyelids, and she went to sleep!! I guess this is a way of controlled crying but ive heard controlled crying is only for babies over 6mths, my DD is only 6w. Ive heard 'If it works for you go ahead..' but i would ultimately like to try something different (if at all possible)..i hate hearing her crying

Sorry its kinda long..and probably makes no sense..but any help would be appreciated

Meg, have you tried playing with her before a feed?

I found that when this happened with Alexander he was just over tired and that's why he was such a cranky pants. If I put him straight into bed after a day feed we don't have too many issues, he tends to just drop off. Sometimes he babbles at the curtains or the wall, but without the extra interaction we then get a good sleep. I alos find that now we do this, he wakes before he is hungry so we play first.

It may also be just that she's having a bit of a growth spurt? Alex was like this around six weeks too and just constantly wanted cuddling. HAB was great for this time but he's barely been in it since he was eight weeks.

Personally I think play first works better because you can play and then feed-to-sleep... or til dopey at least! Hope it gets better for you soon

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Thanks ashleajayne
    Usually when she isnt sleeping i have her laying on the floor/couch/bed and i will play with her and talk to her..til she gets cranky/want a feed/nappychange/she falls asleep..i dont think it really made much a difference, for me, maybe when she is a bit older it may be great LOL and she also babbles at her wall..ive noticed she favours a blue whale on the wall next to her change mat, she really focuses on him and babbles away and smiles..its adorable!!

Well i think i had a bit of a break-through..as i was typing up the thread, i had DD in her cot and she kept getting grizzly but i kept putting her dummy back in (before she starts screaming), patting her a few times then walking out..and after posting up until now i didnt realise i hadnt needed to tend to her, she has been sleeeeping!!

Doesnt mean i dont need tips could just be a flukey once off thing lol.

It sounds like you know your baby really well and what you're doing is fine. I wouldn't think 5 minutes of crying is controlled crying so don't stress about that. Also remember that patterns or sleeping in general can take awhile to work out so give her time - it means you might be tired for a few more weeks yet but you can't change her habits! It took us till DD was 6 months before we got some regular sleep! Sounds like you're doing an awesome job!

Sounds to me like you are doing a great job too! I used to swaddle my DS, lay him on his side in the cot, pat his back rhythmically and make a "shhhh" noise. This helped calm him down and he would happily go off to sleep.

A little grizzling isn't the same as controlled crying, I think sometimes they need to grizzle to wind down. When it became serious crying with my DS I would always investigate and give a cuddle and start the settling technique over again.

Go with and trust your own instincts, you know your bub better than anyone else

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Thanks girls..
    Well the dummy thing worked..in reversing the problem, she slept all day but now doesnt want to sleep tonight..
    Its not that i dont get enough sleep, i get plenty, i just dont really want her to be awake all day or get into a habit of being around us all day..
    But if its going to be a matter of she sleeps either during the day or night, i choose night!!
    Swaddling doesnt really do anything anymore, she gets out of it almost instantly, i still wrap her though but i dont see much point lol.

Meg, you sound like you are doing a great job. I could never wrap DS as he would just fight his way out of it. He wasn't a great sleeper in the beginning, until I put him on his belly to sleep. Not that I recommend you do this if you don't have a breathing monitor, but some bubs sleep much better on their belly, especially if they have wind or something as the warmth helps to settle it.
    During the day I would let him sleep on the chaise part of the lounge, and I would sit there and just watch him and make sure he was breathing etc, as he was on his tummy, and I would sit there for a while, toddle off to do something for a few minutes, come back, watch... toddle off.. you get the picture. So it was a solution for us (although doesn't come recommended!!!)

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Gudism See i have a feeling my DD would be great sleeping on her tummy, coz when she protests to sleeping in her cot, she will sleep on me, and ill usually have her on my chest and recline backwards so i am pretty much laying down on the couch, and she will go to sleep almost instantly..ive considered sleeping her on her tum but im so worried. What is a breathing monitor?? is it one of those things u clip onto their nappy or something and it alarms when they stop breathing?? or is it a special baby monitor??

You can get Angelcare sound and movement baby monitors. They have sensor pads that you place under the cot mattress that sense if your baby has stopped breathing and an alarm goes off. There are probably other brands, but Angelcare seems to be the most common one. HTH

A breathing monitor is a monitor that consists of two panels that go under the cot mattress (or bassinette mattress) and is then hooked up to the alarm system which is hung on the side of the cot. I think ours is a breathe easy one or something like that - costs around $300 - we got ours from the SIDS foundation.

I figure that my kids will want to be tummy sleepers cos I was (and still am) and so is DH.
    HTH!!!

Meg, your Bubba sounds just like mine was. He did grow out of it, but in the frist few months we did exactly what Trish has suggested.

As far as tummy sleeping goes, as it is not recommended, it is prob best to discuss with the MCHN first. You might find it does the trick.

Good luck

Butterfly_Princess Guest

MMM i was a tummy sleeper, still am, DP was a tummy sleeper too..
    But $300..eep i dont think i could convince DP unless he was extremely desperate..and i dont think he is lol..
    i saw SOMETHING that u clipped onto bubs nappy and it alarmed when SOMETHING happened..now i think im going crazy, might take a drive up to the baby shop and see what it was lol.

Actually, i think she is doing brilliantly today, so far..its kinda like, i asked for help so she thought hehe uve asked for help so now ill be a angel. She was awesome last night once she went to sleep..slept for 7 hours straight!! well apart from when she woke up crying, i gave her her dummy and she was back to sleep coz i knew the cry wasnt her hungry or wet/dirty nappy cry, it was her protest cry