Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

We are having MEGA sleep problems at the moment and I am just exhausted. For some reason EVERY single time we put Tori in her cot, the second she is laying down she rolls over and sits up (it doesnt even take her 10 secs) and quite soon after that she is standing at the side of the cot. It doesnt seem to matter how tired she is, she just will not lay down long enough to go to sleep.
    We have been giving her a bottle in the cot, but that only work sometimes now- plus i know that it is creating such bad habbits.
    Usually we end up putting her to sleep on our bed, but even then she just wants to roll all over the place. Today we have started using the pram to rock her off, but there is no way that is a long term solution.
    So what do I do? How do I get her to lay still in her cot long enough to go to sleep? Even if I agreed with CC (which I dont) it wouldnt work for us because she doesnt cry, she just sits in her cot and plays.
    Grrrrrrrrr I am so frustrated, tired and emotional and I just dont know what to do next.

When she is in the cot, is she happy or does she start to get upset? When mine were old enough to do that, I would just put them in their cot anyway and just left them to see if they settled themselves down, but if they got upset, I would go in and comfort them, settle them down again and then leave the room again, I didn't leave them to cry, and sometimes I would be in and out for ages, but after a while they would jsut lay down and go to sleep on their own anyway.

I think I might have to try that Sherie, she doesnt get upset, she is not really a crying kinda baby. At the moment we are sort of in transition stage for sleep times too, she is almost ready for just 1 a day but not quite, so I dont think she is really really tired when I put her down.

paradise lost Guest

Esme does this sometimes. If she isn't crying i leave her to it (she gets a nap in the day if she'd tired but bedtime is bedtime no matter what so by 8pm she'd in her cot) and go in once she's asleep to tuck her in again. We have had the same bedtime routine since she was 5 weeks old. Bath, cuddle/feed (she used to be BF but now has cows milk from a cup), with a few calm songs, lullaby's or downbeat pop songs (she likes it when i sing Mad World!) brush teeth (didn't start that at 5 wks obviously ) tucked in, story, lights out. I stick to this routine like glue whether she's half-asleep drinking her milk or still bouncing up and down when i put the light out. If she cries i go in, cuddle and re-settle her and leave again, i barely speak to her, just "it's bedtime esme" firmly and "night night" with a kiss.

I often have to go once she'd nodded off to re-orient her as she falls asleep in wierd positions with no blankets on her etc. but so far (knocks on wood) it seems to work ok.

HTH

hana

Ali, Marley is doing the same thing but mainly during the day. But I do what Sherie does, leave her if she is happy and just go back and lie her back down and give her the dummy if she is crying. It can sometimes take me an hour to get her to finally go to sleep, but during the day its not too bad. I can understand your frustration when it comes to the night sleep. I hope you can get it sorted soon, you need your rest.

Yep, all good suggestions... Niall sometimes insists on sitting up too but because he has always slept on his tummy I encourage him back down and pat pat pat until he is relaxed (on his bottom). This usually works but if it doesn't I let him be and go about folding clothes etc until he gets whingey and then I try again usually with a greater chance of success. Trick is to not show her that you are phased... babies (I think) like to explore anxieties and/or pick up on things which gives them something more for their over stimulated little brains to ponder over, preventing rest and relaxation... so when she insists on sitting, just try to shrug it off and potter around for a while... I know it's hard when you just want to rest yourself... maybe even just wander out to watch some tv in between checking in on her... goodluck matey We've all been there!

Ali if she's happy in her cot just leave her to play. She will fall asleep when she is tired and sometimes they grow out of one of their day time sleeps as well if she's doing this during the day.

Alex if i put him to sleep during the day takes ages if he doesn't want too and i know when he really doesn't want to as he bangs nice and hard on his door.

Ali, I'm having the same problems with Cody except as soon as he goes in the cot he screams, I agree with the other girls and I've done it with the other boys if their happy just let them play until they fall asleep. How you get some more sleep soon.

hugs xoxo