Thread: What do i do?

Default What do i do?

Well for the past 4 days i have had, at most, 1 hour sleep each night thats broken up into 5min lots. Because all Charlie wants to do is feed off me. Most the time i think it's for comfort but he will not take a dummy at all. I have tried like 5 different ones and he hates them all. I'm not sure what to do here. He won't settle for DH, just me when he's on the boob. I feel like fainting from lack of sleep. One day soon i am just going to fall over asleep and not wake up if this doesn't stop.

Tegan, sorry to hear about the lack of sleep.
    Does Charlie like his baths, pram or car? If so, can DH or someone else take him for a walk, drive or bath him while you have a nap. Sometimes when Nina is having a feeding frenzy with me, me or DH can take her for a walk in the pram, especially late afternoon, and it will distract her for a while. Even the bath distracts her.
    I agree with what Tulip has suggested, have DH or other support do as much as possible for you, that way even if it's half an hours sleep, it'll make such a huge difference.
    Hope it gets better for you soon hun

Kate, we do actually co-sleep but i can't see myself feeding him like that. Too scared i'd roll over onto him. Had a better night sleep last night though, got 5 hours straight!

Tegan, whenever I had a rough night with any of mine, I would lay on the lounge with them and sleep that way, because I knew I couldn't roll over on them kwim? I had also fed this way too on occasion, but mostly just slept. I'm glad you had a better night last night.

Fraser Guest

Hey Tegan,

we did the lay down feeds in bed as well - I was worried I would roll on our Charlie, but I didn't.

He was like your Charlie, wanted to feed all the time, I guess I just accepted that I was just a feeding machine and I did nothing else but that for a while.

I agree with Tania - get your DH to do as much other stuff as he can and perhaps take him for a walk and if he screams he whole time at least you wont hear it!! that will let you get an hours uninterrupted sleep - amazing what that can do for you!

chin up lovey

I'd agree with the lay down feeds as well - even if you think you can't give it a try.
    I could never feed DD laying down yet it's been easy as with DS. He had a growth spurt earlier in the week and was on the boob every hour for two days - this was the only way I survived! I found that even though I'm not used to co-sleeping and we don't usually do it, I was super aware that he was there and I never felt like I would roll on him.
    Good luck you just gotta do what you can to get through!

Well another bad night last night! Tried feeding him while i layed down but he kept falling off, so that didn't work. I think he is just a very sooky baby with a big appetite.

Not sure if this would work, but could you express some breast milk, so your DH could bottle feed him to give you a break? A bottle with the small hole, so it takes longer for your bub to feed Or don't you think he would take a bottle?

Can your community nurse or a dr give you some advice on what to do? My dr's given me some great tips (perhaps cos she's a mum too).

Hope you get yourself some relief and rest soon