Thread: What do you do for 'play time'

Talking What do you do for 'play time'

I'm just curious... what do you do with your bub during play time?

My DS is only 2 months, so we don't have heaps of play time yet, but when he's awake and content we have some fun . We do a bit of peek-a-boo, and he gets lots of kisses from me, his daddy and a toy cow-blanket he has! He also has a baby play-mat that plays music and has toys dangling from it which he likes to lie on. I'm thinking I might start reading him books... he has one that is actually intended for newborns with lots of contrasting pictures to look at.

What do you and your bub(s) do?

Poor Nate, if he's awake and I'm busy he gets carried around in his chair to whatever I'm doing. I sing and chat to him while I'm doing my jobs.
    Otherwise he likes to sit and watch Darcy play - she shows him what she's doing, or sings to him or runs around like a clown trying to make him talk and smile.
    I read to them both all the time. It matters not the content.
    We go outside and chat about the things we see...

My DD gets some tummy time (Usually only a few mins then she gets cranky) I sing to her, and chat to her. Oh and her big brother might poke her a bit. She also gets story time with her brother

Do you have a cot set up? I start putting bubs in the cot with the mobile on for 5 mins. Gets them used to the big cot. Take bub out for a walk in the arvos. Sing to them at nappy change time. My babies always liked to lie on the change table and watch the mobile (never leave them alone of course). Sit down and read. Do floor time with classical music on. Mostly talk to them and show them facial expressions.

kirsty_lee Guest

Well I have lots of play time now with Ava. I use to find it hard because I found "pretend play" to be a real challenge, but now she's older it's alot more fun, won't get into that though cause your bubs is a little bit too young for that. But when Ava-jayde was his age, I use to read to her ALOT, you'd be amazed how quickly they pick these things up. Ava was able to turn the pages at 3.5 months. Lots of dangly things and things that make noise too helps, it's a bit hard when they are that age cause there's not a real lot they can do. So pretty much tummy time and reading and peekaboo is good to do.

Sounds to me that you are doing very well actually. I give JD lots of fast kisses on the tummy, under the arms and neck and he giggles and laughs. I also read him books, mainly rythming ones. He likes to listen to my voice. Other wise you are probably only getting about 20-30 min before bub has had enough and is ready for sleeps. Just lots of cuddles and kisses and smiles from his mummy and daddy are probably all he wants right now.
    P.S. Congratulations!

Play time for my son used to be mainly me singing or talking to him. He would be on his tummy, or his back or I'd walk him around the house showing him things. I tried books but he really showed no interest. He's only getting interested in them now.

books
    singing
    games like peek a boo
    LOTS of tummy time, always better when you get down there too and talk to them

All of the above.. we also took ds out to the garden alot he loved being outside we just talked to him about what was growing and all the things we could see, if the weathers nice you can even put him on a rug and do some nappy off time.
    sounds like your doing a great job!