Thread: What do you do when you are sick???

Default What do you do when you are sick???

Just curious... I often have to call DH home to help out because Matilda is high energy & when I am really sick I need help.

I think I am getting gastro because I've spent most of the morning running for the toilet... and I know if it is gastro I will be feeling VERY sick later today or tomorrow. And unfortunately I can't call friends to come over & help when its gastro and we have no family around.

So I was thinking, what do others do when they are sick? Do you tough it out? Do you have a choice? Do you make your partner have a sick day?

Or are your kids able to understand mummy isn't well & have a pajama day with you....

When I was living in Perth I would drop Gaby off at her great grandmothers house (she's very young and very active) as both sets of grandparents work so I couldnt rely on them. Sometimes my SIL would have Gaby too.

But here in Karratha with no family support and now 2 kids I am forced to ask DH to come home. Usually I will tough it out for a half day and get him to come home around lunchtime. But in DH's line of work it is not always possible for him to just up and leave so some days I just have to make do.

Unfortunately Gaby is not the type to know how to be quiet - she talks non-stop all day long, so having a quiet restful day is almost impossible. The best I can do is let her have neverending tv and food and I may have half a chance of a bit of quiet from her.

When my older 2 were younger, I would do a mix of toughing it out, and pyjama day... I would put them in my bed with me, and let them watch movies whilst I rested etc.

Fortunately I rarely get sick, but the few times I have, I just tough it out, but ask if DH can come home a little earlier just to be home in time to give me a hand with bath and dinnertime.

We have no family in town and my DH can't leave work literally unless it's an emergency. So it is television, television, television. Hi 5 dvd's and the cars movie go on high rotation for the day/afternoon. Sounds terrible I know, but if I'm really sick there seems little else that gives me the chance to recuperate without risking injury/damage to Gus.

Hope you feel MUCH MUCH better soon. Big hugs. xx

Well we tried the pajama/TV day but unfortunately Matilda only wants to watch 10 minutes or so at a time and then do something else. I am really worn out but she decided to have a sleep 15 minutes ago so I get a break!! YAY! Jovie went to sleep too which is good because she's been feeding every hour & my bb's are worn out along with beginning to feel a bit dehydrated.... have drunk 2 litres of water already and about to break out the poweraide

Let's hope they stay asleep for a while then. Give you a chance to rest a little.

Oh - hope you feel better soon Christy.

DH is able to work from home if he has to, and he did last Wednesday when I was chucking up with morning sickness.

My mum is just down the road, and has been a godsend for keeping Tallon company while I desperately try to find energy to get a few things done.

The only time i have been sick is when we was all sick at the same time. We had only Kimberley then and we just slept on the living room floor as it was too painful to move. I think we spend 3 days just feeling crap.

If i was sick i would call DH home if he can come home from work to help out with the kids.

if I am "can't get out of bed at all sick" ... Andrew will come home from work and baby sit the kids if I am down and out with Gastro, if it is the flu or something I try to tough it out, but I have had to ring MIL before when I was really sick when Kameron was a baby, and he stayed there for a few days. Till I demanded Andrew to go and get him cause I missed him too much.

I am prone to migraines, when I just really need to be in bed sleeping, but I have to tough it out through them as well.

Love

I had pneumonia about 18 months ago and as a single mum with no family around i had no choice but to be at home with DD and just get through it. When you don't have any other choice you have to cope....sometimes I wonder how but i've always managed

I dont really have a choice....i will nut it out. DH is a shiftworker and has his own business....mum and sisters would help if it got real bad, but i feel too guilty asking for help.....rather slump it out myself....silly really....

paradise lost Guest

I'm a single mum. By definition, we don't GET sick

I have to tough it out but luckily i'm generally healthy (or at least, my health issues, with a non-funtioning thyroid, are so long-term there's no way xp could realistically help out). He did once take a day off when DD was sick as i hadn't slept at all (her temp was all over and i spent all night sponging her down and dosing her with calpol and trying to get her to drink, was awful, terrifying and lonely) but when he came over she wouldn't settle with him so i had company rather than a break - did my dishes for me tho

DP and i don't live together yet but i think it'd feel weird asking him to stay home and look after my kid, unless we were married.

Hana

If its something like gastro, then I will be begging DP to stay home. But if he can't stay home then I have no other options. I have some family in Bris, but they live on the opposite side of town, and its very unlikely they would take a day off their work to help.

If its the flu or something then I will just load up on cold & flu and just tough it out. TV becomes very useful at those times too, so I can just lie down on the loungeroom floor with him.

I had numerous bouts of gastro when pg with Jack. Where possible I toughed it out. On the bad days DH had to stay home. He was home looking after Jack as I had gastro on the day that Tom unexpectedly arrived early (and fast) - if he wasn't home we wouldn't have made it to hossy on time!

Since Tom was born I haven't been sick but MIL is now in Brissy so that would make life easier if I was.

I gotta tough it out! Single mum hea - so no partner to call to come home... And mah mummies moved to taz... and i'm to stubborn to ask for help from extended family - i guess if i really really needed i would ask... But like Fletch - i HATE asking.

i cant call my partner home from work but he does nights so if im really sick he stays with the boys.... then his sis takes over and she lives with us... i get migraines (havent had one for about a year touch wood i dont get one) and i try and tough it out.
    i hope your feeling better soon!

OH I hope you feel better Christy!.

When I have been sick with Kaitlyn I usually try and read to her or lie on the lounge and let her play with me there hehe. DH works very long hours but I usually try and get him to come home as close to 5 or 6pm as possible if I am really sick.