Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do you let your toddler watch on TV?

My daughter only watches thing selected by me.
    I must say im pretty strict when it comes to the telly,i always watch the video or dvd first and if i think it is suitable i will put it on for her. I strongly believe that the tv should be used for educational purposes for kidsand my DD being 3 she like asponge she just catches on to everthing!!! its actually scary..but like i said definitly monitered.
    she actually loves the computer more than the telly,shes not into tv at all and would even rather watch her dvd on the computer,bit weird but i guess its good for when i want to do some learning with her,she already know how touse alot of functions on the computer!!

Interesting topic!

I haven't even thought about it with Louis being so young still. I don't normally turn the tv on until 8am also for abc. We switch over for Raggs because Louis loves the music and grooves along. Then I normally just have the radio on, although he loves Dr Phil and also the channel 10 news flashes with the music. hehehe. Louis also love New Mcdonalds farm on dvd.
    We don't really have to worry about anything else yet as he doesn't understand anyway...I would say he'll watch the simpsons though as dh is a big fan...the news I would definately wait for until he's old enough that I can talk him through it. I think they show heaps more detailed violent footage now than ever before...

Hi - Cait and Nick watch the simpsons here too - we have talked about it being make believe and how you wouldnt do any of the things that happen in the cartoons in real life and she understands that.

Those music video shows are terrible. Apart from the music being [email protected], the videos themselves are garbage.

I like Arthur on the ABC so we watch that together and the suitcase show (deal or no deal) ... and play school. I usually turn it off at 10am, but there are kids shows on after it now ! and I like backyard science.

It's funny - she has started talking about what shows are rated - like, G, PG etc - and she knows she should only watch G and PG ones !

Kell Guest

Molly will watch abc kids from 9-10 in the mornings and sometimes a (kids) dvd in the afternoon. we are usually eating or reading during the news so it hasnt really come up whether she should watch it or not. she gets upset by scary things in cartoons tho (the shark in nemo and the grasshoppers in a bugs life ) so i wouldnt let her watch the violent stories on the news as these would just upset her i think and she is bit young to be exposed to the 'real' world as such.
    I do think there are too many theories (like with anything to do with parenting LOL) out there as to what is a right amount and content of tv for young ones - as you can see from reading all these different posts it is a choice parents have to make for themselves. i supppose we use tv as an entertainment device for Molly, she enjoys it ( which i dont think is a bad thing) but knows that it is not the only thing to do all day and that when i say it goes off it does.

I don't often put the news on, except in the mornings when I put Sunrise on, but my kids aren't interested in the news anyway - they just tune out and usually go and play in their toy room. Harry likes ABC Kids, especially Playschool, Grace likes Hi-5, and we have a few kids DVDs. They also watch Neighbours and Big Brother because that is what I watch, but I don't feel they are doing any harm. Usually we watch Sunrise till about 8:30, then ABC kids until playschool is finished, then the tv goes off and then later on in the afternoon when its time to get dinner ready etc, it goes back on again.

Whenever my neice is over i only allow her to watch T.V in the afternoons after her sleep, lunch and a play outside. i put on Nic Jnr on foxtel and she watches Dora the Explorer, Backyardigans and Hi 5. In the mornings she won't watch it as i'll give her other activities to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12