Thread: What Do You Think This Is?

Geniebean Guest

Default What Do You Think This Is?

What do you suppose the problem is when she cries b/c she hungry. Then I put the bottle in her mouth and she cries frantically. Then I finally, like 20 mins later, get her to take it and she pushed it out after 100mL and starts crying again.

She's been doing this for the last couple of days but she'll take the dummy no problems. And she's already on reflux meds.

She drinks her bottle and kinda chokes on it...but hasn't ever done this before...and I haven't changed her teat size or anything...

Jennifer Guest

Hi

My DD had started to play funny games while feeding also. I just put the dummy in and get her relaxed, then i quickly take out the dummy and replace it with the bottle. It works most of the time, i think she gets tired and hungry and fights anything but her dummy. Give it a try!! It works for me.

Good luck

Jen

I had big issues around the same age with Louis - He grew out of it but I'm pretty sure he was just overtired. I was prescribed reflux meds but never ended up putting him on them and about a month later all was good again....

Geniebean Guest

So it might be an age thing?

Ellie's on reflux meds and someone suggested upp'ing them.

If it is reflux, is the medication you're using the first one you have tried? maybe a different one would have a better effect?

That said, if theres breast refusal, surely there's bottle refusal as well?
    Milo went through about 2-3 weeks breast refusal whil I was still b/f him.

I'm sure you know but are you sure it's reflux?? I was prescribed it and Louis was never a big chucker. I think they just gave it to me because they didn't know what else to tell me iykwim?
    Also, I assume that even with reflux they would still drink the milk it's just a problem afterwards?
    Hmmm sorry I can't be of more help. I know how difficult it can be in those early days. I suppose as long as she's getting some milk in she will be ok. Perhaps if it continues for another week or so head off to the dr or health nurse or something....

With Matilda's reflux though it affected her feeding & she would pull off the boob and fuss big time after 10-15 minutes. She would arch her back & scream & then reattach & it would start all over. That started when she was 7 days old though until we found out it was reflux & started meds, once I started giving her mylanta before every feed it stopped. She was on other meds as well but the only way to get through a breastfeed was mylanta first until she went onto reflux formula for a comp bottle at night and never refused that.

Geniebean Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rayray
    If it is reflux, is the medication you're using the first one you have tried? maybe a different one would have a better effect?

That said, if theres breast refusal, surely there's bottle refusal as well?
    Milo went through about 2-3 weeks breast refusal whil I was still b/f him.
    So what can I do about bottle refusal? I have nothing else to give her. Today she's eating but still choking while eating...

It is the first medication we've tried and it did work but now it seems to be lagging somewhat...

Geniebean Guest

Quote Originally Posted by christy
    With Matilda's reflux though it affected her feeding & she would pull off the boob and fuss big time after 10-15 minutes. She would arch her back & scream & then reattach & it would start all over. That started when she was 7 days old though until we found out it was reflux & started meds, once I started giving her mylanta before every feed it stopped. She was on other meds as well but the only way to get through a breastfeed was mylanta first until she went onto reflux formula for a comp bottle at night and never refused that.
    Ellie was diagnosed with silent reflux @ 7 weeks. She's on 1.5ml of Losec a day, Baby Inner Health Plus & S26 AR. No breastmilk.

Confused...

urgh it is confusing!! I would definately go see the GP to get some ideas or help. That is my opinion. With Matilda's reflux we had to go back & forth for a little while to try & find something that worked for us. In all honesty she was probably a bit younger than Ellie when we worked it out but that was with 3-4 changes along the way.

Goodluck!

Geniebean Guest

Thanks. I think I have to go and get it all checked out. What dose did you have Matilda on with Losec? Or didn't you use Losec?

What about the start of teething? Sounds like your little one might have a sore mouth. I could be wrong, of course - you know your baby best. It's a little early for that, but definitely not unheard of! Try giving her something cold on her gums amd see if she seems to like it. Maybe a little baby acetaminophen before feeding if you think that might be the problem?
    All the best!