Thread: What does your baby sleep in clothing wise?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Default What does your baby sleep in clothing wise?

Hi All

I'm just curious. I know our little one hasn't come along yet, but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

What do you put on your baby to sleep in and what kind of bedding do they sleep under?

I'm just worried about making bubba either too hot or too cold.

Thanks in advance.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks for that Ellen, I had read that too, but just thought I would ask around to see what others do

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yes, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeee

Hi Bec and Ellen,

Up until Aidyn was 6 weeks old I would dress him in a singlet, a wondersuit, then wrap him in 2 bunny rugs and a polar fleece blanket. (He was born in May, so it was getting quite cold).
    I have heard that babies up to at least 6 weeks old should be wrapped, as it helps them feel secure.
    After he was 6 weeks we ordered him a Grobag sleeping bag (you can buy them in different thicknesses depending on the season etc) So he would wear singlet, wondersuit and grobag on top, and if it was extra cold, a pajama top & pants as well.
    He is almost 1 year and still sleeps in a grobag, just cause I dont like the thought of him getting trapped/suffocated under his blankets.
    I also found it to be a lot less of a hassle when changing nappies in the middle of the night - you just unzip to access them, and you dont have to worry about disturbing them too much by wrapping or tucking them in again.

When Nicholas was a baby I would do the same as Ambah, with a singlet and wondersuit. Then when he was about 2-3 months old I would put him in some pjs and a sleeping bag. I have used a sleeping bag for him up until now as he would constantly kick the blankets off himself.

Lily wears a bondsuit or lights pants and light long sleeve top. When she was younger she would wear a shourt sleeve all in one.

Yep same here with Jessica. I wrapped my babies until they were too big to be wrapped ie the blankets were too small so maybe 3 months. Growsuit, and 2 blankets for nighttime and now as she kicks everything of I too am doing the grow suit, sleeping bag. I do put her under the balnket to start with but she doesn't stay there.
    Cheers Michelle

Mine have always had a singlet, and growsuit, wrapped up tight, in a bunny rug, with one blanket over the top ( summer babies), then when they wriggled out of the bunny rug,( about 4 months) I'd use a sleeping bag, and if really cold, a jumper over the growsuit, and under the sleeping bag, then a blanket over the top.
    At 19 months she wears a singlet growsuit, and one blanket, in this weather.

Pietta Guest

Ryley was born in September so it was still quite cold for him. He had an all in one and a singlet and two polar fleece blankets. Now days as it is a bit hotter he wears his pj's only coz he is a wriggler and gets hot easily.

Dont worry too much I am sure you'll do fine. Just ask the midwives in the hospital where to check exactly to see their temp. That helped me heaps. For Ryley i checked his belly.

Hope this helps

Kimberley was a Winter baby and she would sleep in a vestsuit and sleepsuit for bedding a couple of blankets and a fleece blanket. I always had a baby monitor telling me the temperature of the room so i know how much to out on her.

Glad you started this post Bec.

I will be dressing my baby in similar to the other mums. Singlet, grosuit, wrapped for about 6 weeks, then transfer to a Grobag. The Coles Baby club send a very detailed brochure on Grobags recently and it had all the types and sizes. There have been a few on eBay but they are going for around $50 so you may as well get a new one for $72-80 if that is what you choose to use for your baby.

When he first come home from hospital and in his bassinette, he would be in a singlet and a jumpsuit of some description. I then wrapped him in a bunny rug and depending on how cold it was going to be, one or two rugs on top of him.

When he was 5 weeks old I put him into a cot, he still wears a jumpsuit atm but I have got fleecy jumpsuits and a sleepbag for him to wear. Also a set of sheets and 3 baby blankets.

i would put josh in a vest ( it must be a british thing using vests rather then singlets) then id put him in his growsuit over the top of that and hed be under a couple of blankets, he didnt like sleeping in his crib so he slept in his little moeses basket for a little while, which i then put in his crib ..

take care
    LEsley

My DD was a June baby as will this one be (if it stays put for the next 9 1/2 weeks!) and they slept/will sleep in a singlet or singlet suit, Bonds babygrow, wrapped in a bunny rug and under another blanket. For the first month or so we had an oil column heater in her room in our old house as it didn't have central heating and there were some cold winter nights.

Completely sidetrackign,

Lesley... I come from English blood and always thought a vest was a singlet. What do you see as the difference?

I`m going to put my little boy into a singlet, nightie, wrap him up in a bunny rug then layer the bedding appropriate to the weather.

Take Care

Deeanne

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thank you everyone for your experiences with dressing babies, I now have some idea what to do unlike before.

Big to you all

jcm73 Guest

I found the best thing to do with Molly was to check the back of her neck. If the back of the neck was sweaty, she was covered up too much, so we got rid of something! Its only really important what you put them in when they are really little. When they get a bit bigger they will wriggle out of whatever you have them in anyway to suit their own temperature. We kept away from the sleeping bag idea because Molly seemed to be a really hot baby, so we just dressed her warm, even in winter. She didn't sleep in blankets (even though she started out with them when we put her in bed). She would usually cry and then settle herself again, but without the coverings. She's nearly 16 mths now, and now that its getting cooler again, we're starting to use a cot doona. This is working well, and she seems to be old enough to realise that being under it is a good thing, rather than wriggling out LOL!