Thread: What a GREAT idea! but is it safe?

Default What a GREAT idea! but is it safe?

Found this on ebay..

<link removed>

Its such a great idea! i actaully said to my husband a few months back that i thought it was strange that no one had invented something like this as it would make travelling with a toddler SO much easier! There goes my multimillion dollar idea lol

So anyway it looks as if its a very new product and isn't available in Australia yet (at least i don't think it is?) so it wouldn't adhere to Australian safety standards because it hasn't been tested here yet... so do you think i should buy it? Its very tempting as we're moving house in 4weeks and will be in the car for 3+ hours and this would be great for my 2yr old...it looks as though its just made from firm material so therefore wouldn't pose a risk of snapping or breaking off and hurting bub in the event of an accident (heaven forbid) so it looks quite safe to me..
    what do you think?
    Last edited by MantaRay; March 14th, 2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: link removed - please check guidelines

Wow that looks awesome and I would love to get one for DS! I wonder what everyone else thinks of safety wise?

Yeah, I'd worry about what would happen in an accident myself. I guess research the item and safety even if it's US standards or whatever, just to see what it says.

I've found 3hr trips very doable, my kids usually sleep for half of it, and the rest is easily filled in by eating and singing! hehe.

Also keep in mind that giving them too much to do in the car could make them carsick (if they're prone) which is why I don't give my kids books or colouring or anything in the car. Both DH & I suffered car sickness as kids, so we don't wanna risk it hehe. Kids haven't been sick yet tho, so no idea if they're prone or not LOL.

I think you can get things to hang off the back of the front seat which can hold their books and stuff too if you're worried about the safety of having something in front of him like that one you're looking at.

Thank Liz, i think i'll have a good search on google and see what i can find..its looks pretty good, i guess i'd be a bit worried that it might be harder to get DS out of the carseat in a hurry if there was an accident.. i didn't know you could buy tray for the backs of the front seats whereabouts would i find them?

I've been on a few trips with Ds (one 7hour trip which was a NIGHTMARE!) his grandma and grandpa live 4 hours away so we've done that trip a few times and he definitely needs lots of toys and activities to entertain him. He definitlely wouldn't sleep unless he was absolutelty exhausted..i've been blessed with very energetic boys so something like this would definitely make life easier.
    I just emailed the seller and asked them what its made out of as that would make a big difference safety wise...if its just firm foam/material then i think that's ok...will let you know what they say

found this on the product website..

Starr Kids Snack & Play Travel Tray was created out of necessity for today's children, and enhances the travel experience by providing a flat, safe area for children to eat and play. Made of soft, durable, 100% Nylon with soft foam reinforcement that folds on impact. It buckles either around the child, car seat, stroller, etc. Features two side pockets and a 2 inch wall to stop toys, food, etc from falling off the tray. 18 x 14 inches, folds to 14 x 9 x 3.5 to store in it's zippered storage case, included. Weighs 1lb, 2oz
    think i'll buy it, i reckon it wont be long till they're available here in Australia and they look pretty safe to me

yeh im also worried what would happen in an accident. Its good to keep them entertained but i wouldnt put it in my car personally.

It looks pretty safe in that it's soft so in the even of an accident and your child was thrown forward they probably couldn't injure themselves on it. I would only be concerned about being able to get your DS out of the car seat quickly if you did have an accident or emergency. If you were incapacitated, would an emergency worker/bystander know how to remove the toy to be able to get him out?

It is definitely a worse case scenario, but something worth thinking about anyway.

I agree, it looks like a great idea though!

just bought it on ebay.. $60 aus so i hope its worth it! Our trips in the car are horrible with DS so i think he'll get good use out of it. looking at it, i think it would be easy to slip my hands under the tray to undo his seatbelt buckle in the case of an accident- it looks as though i could pull him out without having to actually remove the tray. I'll only use it on long trips but i definitely think it'll be work it. I might attach a label/note to the side of it that says it unclips at the back so somebody knows in the event of an accident

Lesty - when it arrives, would you mind posting back in this thread to let us know what it's like? I mentioned to DH a while ago I would love something like this. My parents live 3 hours away and it's a bugger to keep DS entertained if he doesn't sleep. This looks great because it's soft, and if you put the note on it is a fab idea. Cheers x

Hi mrscricket, will let you know what its like when it arrives. Its got to come from America so it will probably take 2-3 weeks but i'll definitely get back to you
    i saw one website that was selling similar ones but they're made out of hard plastic like a high chair tray THAT seems really dangerous to me because i'd be worried about the hard plastic breaking off and becoming jaggared in an accident
    anywho can't wait for DS to try it out, i think its going to be a real life saver!

I want one now!! BUt I'll wait until you get your's first . I've just done a bit of goggling and this definiately looks like the best one. When DH and I talked about it, we both pictured a hard one and he said 'absolutely not' but this being soft, looks great. There is a Fisher Price one that looks soft, but nowhere near as good looking as this one with all the compartments etc. Thanks Lesty

When it comes down to it, if there's an accident, the emergency service workers will just cut it off, easier than anything else.

It looks good though!

Kazbah - that's like when we were little my dad would never let us lock our doors in the car in case of accident - the emergency workers wouldn't be able to get us out.
    I seriously lived by this rule until the other day when DH said "They would just smash in the window and unlock the door, or cut you out". It was like a life altering moment for me

Quote Originally Posted by lestyrox View Post
    Thank Liz, i think i'll have a good search on google and see what i can find..its looks pretty good, i guess i'd be a bit worried that it might be harder to get DS out of the carseat in a hurry if there was an accident.. i didn't know you could buy tray for the backs of the front seats whereabouts would i find them?
    Not a tray, just a hanging pockets kinda thing. I -think- I've seen them anyway LOL. I know you can get actual toys.. like steering wheels with all the bells & whistles to go on the back of the front seat so they think they're driving hehe.

oops so sorry guys, i didn't realise i wasn't allowed to post that link.. silly me should have read the rules

You can get the hanging pockets thing at junk shops - goes on the back of the front seats.

We have the fisher price tray table (which is like a soft version of a stable table, but it clips onto the seat) - DS hates having it on his legs - so we don't use it much.