Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is sleeping through?

Default What is sleeping through?

Hi there. Just curious as to what do people classify as sleeping through? For me, my DD usually gets fed about 9pm-ish then doesn't wake again until 4.30-5am, to me this is sleeping through at this stage and I am happy with this (she is only 8 weeks old). I know someone who gets 5 hours from midnight to 5am and she classifies that as sleeping through. Just curious on what others do and think.

Chelsea sleeping from 730pm to 7-8am is sleeping thru to me!!!!

At Graces age she would be sleeping 10pm-830am.... no wake up for feeds or an thing.

We now have bed at 730-8pm and she wakes at 3/4am for a 30 min feed... then sleeps til 8am. (This has only been the last few days she has started this mind you).

Wow, 10pm to 8.30pm with no feeds at 8 weeks would be amazing!

Rachel i would class that as "sleeping through" cause it is nearly an 8 hr stint which is fantastic for that age.

Love

Anything over five hours is officially sleeping through, but I would say over six hours, because I feel fantastic with six hours or longer.

When the boys go nuts in thier room banging thier toys and so on at 6am and I don't wake up :P

ROFL Chloe!!

Jesse atm now sleeps from 7pm-7am.. but id say at that age yeh shes pretty much sleeping through. From memory his first sleep through was from 10.30pm until 6am.. so yeh close enough

I've been reading "No cry sleep Solution" and the author of that book says a 5 hour stretch is officially sleeping through.
    I've heard the 5 hour thing from other sources as well.
    As far as I'm concerned it's a load of you-know-what.
    My DS does a 5 hour stretch from 7 until midnight. He is then up every 2-3 hours for the rest of the night.
    That, to me is NOT sleeping through.
    My definition of "Sleeping through" means I get 8 hours of unbroken sleep. Which at this rate will not happen until he's 20.

I guess everyone has their own definitions...
    I've heard that nobody sleeps continuously - they just know how to go back to sleep after waking up, including adults.
    I'd say 'sleeping through' would be when baby doesn't bother you at night anymore and knows how to resettle him/herself. (Something I'm not expecting for a couple of years At this point I'm ecstatic when I only have to get up once, and I think, what a lucky mum I am... You need the rough nights to appreciate the good ones, hey.)

Fraser Guest

Personally I consider sleeping through to be a night when I don't have to hop up in the middle of it!

That's really good Rachel - I *wish* Charlie would sleep through like that! I reckon as she gets older the amount of time she sleeps will stretch out.

fingers crossed she keeps sleeping like that!

I'm the same, defining sleeping through as when I don't have to get up in the middle of the night.

I know I am lucky that she does this and has done this for a number of weeks now, I am not complaining! Nor am I getting too comfortable in case she changes it on me! I suppose I think of it as sleeping through as I used to get up at 5am for work and this is not much difference really. I agree that 5 hours before midnight is not sleeping through, unless you go to sleep when they do.

Ash wakes for a feed at 10:30ish and then it varies after that. I consider though she has slept thru if she goes til at least 5am.

Mine slept through by my definition when they went from 10 to 6am, so 8 hrs, means they basically slept through a feed and woke for the next feed (4hrs apart). 2 of mine did this from 9 wks, 1 from 6 wks and 1 from 3 wks....now that child was truly an angel....I actually fet like I was among the living....no wonder I had the 4th child cos she lulled me into a false sense of securitylol

wow mitch what is your secret! At nearly 8 months we've only had a few nights of sleeping thru.

julesr Guest

My personal definition would be from about 10pm through till about 6am - in other words, not waking up in the wee hours. I'm living in hope of getting to 7pm-7am one day...maybe...please...

The official definition is any 5 hour stretch - pfft to that.

ATM I'm happy if I can get an uninterrupted 3 hours of sleep. I don't feel quite so much like the living dead if I've managed 3 hours of sleep without being woken - that must be how long it takes me to complete a sleep cycle IYKWIM. Anything less than that is SO much harder to cope with, I quite literally stagger out of bed LOL.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

According to a study, sleeping through for a newborn was an average of 5 hours. They dont need the sleep that we do - we work flat out all day and therefore crave lots of sleep!!! If you read Pinky McKay's Sleeping Like a Baby or Margot Sunderlands The Science Of Parenting you can read more about that with lots of great info.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast