thread: What sort of mattress for kids bed?

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

What sort of mattress for kids bed?

We have DS' 'big boy' bed all set to go but need to get a mattress.
    It's regular single size, but I have no idea where to start.

What sort of mattress do I get - I think I want to get and inner spring one, but do I need to look and spinal/posture already? Or just get something that fits and think about that later?

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

We got an innerspring mattress for DD1. Think it was a middle of the range one that would do her till she was a teenager. I would look at how big/heavy DS is likely to be, if he is going to be bigger than average I would look at getting something a bit better than middle of the range. Have you considered latex? We have one for our mattress and it is divine. Also they are great if you have any allergies/asthma concerns.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

This is a hard one hey! You want to buy what is the best for your child but only want to spend what you have to to get that don't want to waste money if you don't have to. When we were buying one for Noah...just under 2months ago. We were in one particular bed/mattress shop where we were looking at the range of innerspring mattresses and I asked the lady what were the difference in the mattresses when comparing prices she said in the same brand they are exactly the same on the inside just covered with differnt materials on the outside to make them look better pretty much. i.e the satin covered one was more expensive than the cotton covered one

We spend about $150 i think on the innerspring mattress and Noah seems to be very comfy and happy with it, we can lay on it and its comfy. Kids don't weigh much, our had a 5yr warranty, which is how long they say you should sleep on a mattress anyway so I was happy with that!

Jan 2005
    cowtown

I tried a latex mattress when we bought our current bed and founf it was too soft - well I thought it was but in saying that the one we have ended up with hurts my back

Not sure about weight. He will be tall though and the bed (and whatever mattress is on it) will end up being replaced probably sometime towards the end of primary school. At the moment his weight is a full curve lower than his height.

ETA: Jas thanks for that, I might just go to a few places and ask.

Oct 2004

We got the firm latex mattress. DH has a back injury and has found it great for his back.

Feb 2007
    ACT

It might also depend if he is toilet trained. I actually started out with a foam mattress on there single beds and once they were toilet trained got the innerspring as that way if they had an accident it was easy to wash and also didn't ruin an expensive mattress.

Jan 2005
    cowtown

not toilet trained at night, no but we'd have a waterproof mattress protector on there as well, which is what we use now (hes in a boori cot converted to bed at the moment)

Feb 2007
    ACT

I had a waterproof matress cover and she still wet threw as she wiggled of it.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

We have innerspring with waterproof mattress. Same as Astrid, middle of the range to last until teen years.

Innerspring is more fun to jump on too Another reason not to get a fancy shmancy one haha.

Jan 2005
    cowtown

I had a waterproof matress cover and she still wet threw as she wiggled of it.
    How do they wiggle off it? Outs is fitted, adnthe whole top is waterproof.

Liz, do you mean a waterproof cover, or the mattress was waterproof??

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

oh woops.. mattress protector. LOL. sorry! Yeah, ours is fitted and the only way they'd get off it is to fall off the bed.

Oct 2004

Speaking about mattress protectors, we need one for our bed. Miss 3 was in with us and had an accident Have no idea how to get it out of the latex, just thankful our wool underlay got most of it.

Feb 2007
    ACT

my daughter was and still is a wiggle wart and actually manages to untuck fitted sheets and matress protectors in her sleep, I actuall have to use those things that hold ironing board covers on to hold her sheet on.