thread: What time do your LO's go to bed?

You were RAK'ed in 2015.
    Add beansbeans! on Facebook

May 2008
    with the fairies and butterflies

What time do your LO's go to bed?

Ok after a vent yesterday about my girls sleeping patterns,

I was wondering what time to your LO's go to bed?
    Does it make a difference if they have a nap during the day?
    Also what time do they wake up in the morning?

So DD1 and DD2 go to bed at 7pm, neither have naps during the day although if they do pass out, they normally stay up for an hour or so later than normal. And they get up somewhere beteen 5am and 6am.
    And DD3, well she goes down somewhere between 8 and 9pm and sometimes gets up for a midnight feed, or she'll sleep through to 6 or 7am, sometimes later.
    Last edited by beansbeans!; April 26th, 2012 at 04:49 PM. : forgot about DD3 :redface:

Dec 2007
    Melbourne

DD usually goes to bed between 8 to 830. She is 3, nearly 4. She no longer naps and if she does she would be up until midnight. DH doesn't get home from work until 7 and we pick him up from the station. If she went to bed any earlier she would never see him

Mar 2009

DD1 who is just over 3 goes to bed around 6pm, occasionally earlier. She doesn't have a daysleep. She is up around 6am, occasionally earlier.

Naps have an unpredictable effect on sleep. Usually if it is in the first half of the day and only short (say in the car on the way home from somewhere) there is no difference. If it is longer and later than she could be up a few hours extra. If she falls asleep, I let her sleep but it is rare that she does these days.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

DD is 16mos and has a sleep usually around lunch time, anywhere from 1-3 hours.
    Today she had a morning sleep, 9ish to 11ish. I was hoping she'd have an arvo sleep but it didn't happen.

Regardless of what time her day sleeps happen, she goes to bed between 7-8 and sleeps til 6.30-7ish.

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

DD is recently 3 and we are starting to drop the day sleep. She would reliably nap for 2hrs+, which was lovely, but then she'd be up til 9 or 10pm. Without the day sleep, she is comatose by 7.30pm. She now, after 3 years of working on it, sleeps reliably in the morning til some time between 6.30am and 7.30am.

DS is a bit of an unknown quantity - he will have a day sleep of anything from 1hr to 3hrs (I am serious) and will generally be asleep by 8.30pm. We put him down at the same time as DD but he talks, plays, whinges in his cot til around 8.30pm. He wakes any time from 5am to 7am. Every day varies with this child!!

I shudder to think about the next few weeks when we transition him to a bed...

Nov 2008
    Perth

DD1 is 2.5yrs and goes to bed between 7 and 8pm (depending on how late dinner was, what sort of day we had, etc) and gets up around 7am. She still has a nap for an hour or two maybe 4 days a week. If she skips her nap, she goes to bed between 6.30 and 7 and generally without any fuss at all

DD2 is only 4 months old so she down between 6 and 7pm and up around 12 hours later with one feed around 3am.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

DD1 is six and goes to bed after dinner (she usually reads in bed by herself for a while). Latest is by 7.30pm but if I'm on the ball it can be earlier. We don't really watch the clock but go by our usual evening pattern of activities. No nap for her, but we've pretty much had the same bedtime with DD1 for the last three years and she had a two hour afternoon nap until about four. DD1 wakes up earlier than us (between 6-7am) and plays, dresses herself and gets herself breakfast until we get up (after 7am).

DD2 at almost four months likes to go down for the night around 6pm. So I get her ready before then and depending on how quickly she settles she's asleep by 6-6.30pm. She naps sporadically when she can and sometimes has one long nap during the day, depending on our activities. She wakes around 7.30-8.30am, with some sleepy feeds on demand during the night.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; April 26th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Feb 2008
    Melbourne

DD is 3 years old and no longer has a day sleep. Ever since she dropped the day sleep she has gone to bed at 7pm and is asleep by 7.10pm. She gets up between 6am and 7am. We still have the occassional nights where she has night wake ups and needs a cuddle to go back to sleep, but the majority of nights she sleeps through. This is heaven for me as she was a TERRIBLE sleeper up until she dropped her day sleep. So I had 2 and a half years of dealing with a difficult sleeper - which as I am sure a lot of you are aware - its very difficult!

If on the odd occassion she has a day sleep - everything goes out the window. I actually have to limit the sleep to a power nap or she would never go to sleep in the evening. So I wake her after she has had 30 mins sleep - horrible thing to do, but saves mine and her sanity later on!

Janie xxx

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Isaac (2 and 10 months) goes to bed at 6pm. If he has a sleep during the day, regardless of it being 5 mins or 2 hours, he won't go to sleep until 9pm.
    He wakes up at 4ish and comes into our bed, then sleeps until about 6 or 7am.
    The time he goes to bed make absolutely no difference to the time he wakes up.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add Beautiful Disaster on Facebook Follow Beautiful Disaster On Twitter

Jun 2010
    Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

DS is 14mths and goes to bed at 7 and generally sleeps through till 630-7 with 1 wake up.

Oct 2008
    Victoria

Moo's bedtime varies but is generally between 6:30pm and 8pm, depending on what is going on or how he's been during the day. My DH isn't home for at least half the bedtimes per week so on those days he seems to get to bed a little later as I'm preoccupied with Buster.

I notice a HUGE difference if he has a nap so I've cut it right out, otherwise he is up til 10pm and then awake at 5am. He's not quite there yet and starts getting ratty in the late arvo, I really miss that quiet time too, but it's just not worth it for all the hassles it causes at bedtime.

I find now that he's not having a nap he sleeps in a little longer, today was 7am which is a sleep in for him! He's always been an early riser but 5am was a little too early, especially when I was up at 4:30am feeding his brother

Mar 2007
    Melbourne

DD who is 2.5yrs old goes to bed at 6:30pm and wakes up between 6 and 6:30am. She also has an hour or so sleep during the day.

Apr 2009
    Sydney

22mo DS is in bed by 7pm and he usually has an hour nap during the day. He sleeps through and is generally awake around 6-6:30am most mornings

Jan 2007

Mine have only both just dropped day naps at nearly 5 and 3 1/2 ( I know, freak children). Prior to this they were going down around wish and not falling asleep til 8:30 sometimes, but now that they aren't sleeping they are in bed by 7:30 and generally asleep by 8 and they sleep til 7. We have always tried for a 7oclock bedtime but as they have gotten older its gotten later but I am actually glad now that they are going to bed earlier at 7:30 and sleeping through til 7 rather than taking ages to go down and then waking up at 6-6:30. They still have a quiet/rest time in their rooms for an hue each day that they don't sleep. (DS still occasionally naps)

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2010
    In the mad house at loopy land

DD 15months goes to bed at 6-630pm every night.wakes at 530/6 sometimes later. With one day sleep at 11/1130 for an hour to hour and a half.

DS1 12yr goes to bed at 8 DS2 7 goes to bed at 7 they both get up around 630-7.

pls excuse the spelling mistakes on my galaxcy

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

DD is 16 months old, and goes to bed when she's ready. Usually somewhere between 7-8pm, and it absolutely depends on how many/how late her day sleep(s) have been. She ideally has just one day sleep, at 12, for 1-2 hours, usually closer to 1 hour. But there are days when she passes out early, then needs another sleep, or we're out doing something exciting and it's late. Those days suck.

Apr 2006
    Perth

DDs turning 4 and 5 next month go to bed between 7.30 pm and 8pm each night, although if we've had a huge day or they're sick, overtired etc I'll get them in bed more like 7pm. They wake anything from 6am to 8am - 8am obviously being on the mornings when they actually HAVE to get up!

DD2 could still benefit from a day sleep on some days, especially after a couple of full days in a row at kindy, but if she has even 10 minutes sleep she is still awake at 11pm so I more encourage quiet time than sleep.

TBH I don't find their bed time really impacts on their wake time. There have been a few occasions where I've thought geez I could do with a sleep in tomorrow so if its a non-school day I'll let them stay up to 8.30 pm or even a smidge later. If anything, they wake earlier.

Add fionas on Facebook

Apr 2007
    Recently treechanged to Woodend, VIC

I aim to have both in bed by 7.30pm but that doesn't mean they're asleep unfortunately.

DD1 is a great sleeper and I could pretty much leave her to it except that she now wants to sleep with DD2.

DD2 (20 months) has always been a bit of a nightmare by comparison to her big sister. Tonight she wasn't asleep till 8.45pm so that's an hour and a quarter trying to get her to sleep. She has one nap - usually around 1.5 - 2 hours.

They both get up around 7am.