Thread: What type of washing powder?

Question What type of washing powder?

Just wondering if you are supposed to use a particular kind of washing powder on babies clothes and nappies or is normal washing powder ok? Thought I might have read somewhere that you need to use half strength powder but not sure. Do you buy half strength powder? Anyway, thanks for your help. Need to find out so that I can prewash all babies clothes and nappies before s/he arrives.

Some babies are fine with normal powder. But I used lux soap flakes with both boys until about 2 months (anolin would also be fine). With Tom I have been using normal powder since, but Jack had ezcema so I used the soap flakes until about 6 months.There was a similar thread a while back and it seemed most people used soap flakes or anolin until 2 months then used normal powder. HTH.

Same as Melanie with Matilda, with Jovie I bought a bulk thing of OMO sensitive & we have just run out so will be going back to normal powder now

Thanks everyone. Sounds like there is no hard and fast rule, depends on baby really. Brooke, I know how you feel, only 9 more weeks and we will (hopefully) know by then!

Rachel, I use the Planet Ark one called Aware. It has no phosphorous or petrochemicals. It is quite cheap and can be used with front or top loaders. You use a small amount too, only 1.5 tablespoons. I can also use the grey water on my garden.

We use Lux Flakes for Jesse. When im finished this box i might just go to normal but yeh for newborns i think you have to be careful normal stuff doesnt irritate their skin.

I'm allergic to heaps of stuff and Darc reacted to lots of baths stuff and lotions when she was new. I've always just washed her stuff in the same stuff I use (good old cold power ultra) with sensitive fabric softener. Never had a problem. She seems to react to the same stuff I do.

I use the Planet Ark Aware as well and it is brilliant- a box of that seems to last and last and as Mel said it is friendly enough to use on your gardens if you save the grey water.

Hi girls,Can you buy the planet ark Aware washing powder in normal supermarkets? I have never seen it on the shelves but I usually shop online or at Aldi but we are about to put the grey water on our garden so I would like to switch to it.
    thanks

Anney you can buy it any supermarket. I buy mine from Safeway and I think its only around $6 for 1.5kg.

I used to use lux flakes with Paris but it was such a task so I went to amolin with Seth and I love it Last time I bought "Purity" which is a cheaper version of amolin and works just as well but doesn't have the new baby smell that amolin does. We'll soon be moving back to normal powder

*hugs*
    Cailin

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I use amolin too, smells divine, I love it.

thanks LoveMyGirls, off to Bunnings now to get the grey water stuff and will stop off at Safeway as well. i would never have known about it if you hadn't posted about using it, so thanks heaps.