Thread: What was your "must have" item for a newborn?

Butterfly_Kisses Guest

Default What was your "must have" item for a newborn?

What was/is your most used "must have" item for a newborn?. I'm in the process of putting together a list of things that are a "must" for a newborn to buy for SIL, so would love some ideas from other mothers .

I know mine where a rocker, donut cushion (for me after having a massive episotomy) and a microwave bottle sterilizer.

What were yours?

Custardtart Guest

For me, prunes!! Constipation after having the baby was not fun with a couple of stitches in.

For the baby, those thick cloth pilchers with velcro fastenings to go over cloth nappies. I never liked the plastic pants much, I reckon they contribute to nappy rash, particularly in warm weather.

Kerrie

For me it has been my hug-a-bub sling. I'm sure Hannah's transition into the world was made easier by being held close in the sling for the first few weeks of her life. I used it all the time at home, and it calmed her crying instantly - every time (as long as she wasn't hungry).

Now she's three months, and I use it every time I go grocery shopping and it still calms her when I've tried everything else at home.

It was the single BEST thing I bought for her as a newborn.

Now that she's a bit older - she really enjoys spending time in her fisher price flutterbye dreams swing. I also have an Infa bath and stand with change table that attaches to the top of our adult bath. It is really handy - at a good height, and you can just pull out the plug when you're finished with it and the water just drains into the normal bath!

Butterfly Kisses,

Welcome to BellyBelly.

Check out the article on the main site Mum's Top 5 Things for Baby. This should help you complie your list.

Yep, I have to agree with the Hug-A-Bub! DH & I think it's the best baby thing we've bought. We take Kynan everywhere in the HAB as the 2-3 occasions we've taken him out in the pram he's cried (and we even have him in the HAB at home when he's unsettled or spewy).

rails2005 Guest

My best investment was a pacifier didn't even make it home before we needed one, was so glad at 3am when the midwife said to you have a dummy and i did!!! - small investment but oh the peace & quiet. Note: I never intended to use it but as a first time mum you never intend to do alot of things that you end up doing. LOL

Butterfly Kisses,

Welcome to BellyBelly.

My first thing I brought was a baby bjorn ( carry pouch thing), and a carry bed thingy-gee I describe things well dont I!! #-o

mooshie Guest

i think the best thing we ever got was our "swing" it is an old one (got it 7yrs ago) but it did wonders, my dh used to work night shift and i found if really hard to get things done at night with an unsettled baby that just wouldn't sleep, she used to sit in the swing and it would swing her whilst she looked around and could see me going about doing the dinner, dishes etc.

as i said it is an old one a graco brand - but it has been used with my 3 children and about a dozen friends have borrowed it to and it looks good enough for another child.

Debbie Lee Guest

I also found the hug-a-bub to be a life saver. I wish I had it when Gabby was just born but she was a couple of months old before we invested in one. We haven't looked back!

hug-a-bub was the best thing I ever got for Matilda

yep i totally agree, the baby bjorn has been my best friend the past 2 months!!