Thread: When baby has a cold...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default When baby has a cold...

... what do you do to help your little one?

After some mummy suggestions for an article.

I find a vapouriser great and a saline nasal spray when it's really congested in the nose...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Steamy shower along with a squirt of Lemsip spray in the air, really helps to clear the nose. Saline nasal drops for other times.

Before Matilda turned 12 months old we used the vapouriser & saline spray as well. I also would increase her fluid intake by offering more bottles or drinks and yummy home made ice blocks.

mooshie Guest

okay this may seem weird but it seems to help us, when babies or children or adults for that matter have a cold, we put vicks vapour rub onto our feet before putting on clean socks. when they are bubs i use the baby balsalm.

sounds weird but it works for us lol

Emma was snuffly on the weekend so we had a steamy shower with her & some baby balsam on her chest.

Baby Basalm and vapouriser works for us here.

Baby Balsam on the singlet (Maddy is under the recommended age for skin application), Fess'Lil Noses saline drops for when she's really congested, semi-inclined sleeping position so the phlegm doesn't pool in her throat.

I've just finished nursing my little one to sleep for his day nap - it took nearly 2 hours because he has a cold.

I started with a rub of the balsam on his chest.
    He was trying to sleep but he couldn't suck on his dummy because his nose is too blocked. Crying.
    Cuddles and rocking and singing.
    I wrapped him and put a pillow underneath his back and head so he is on an incline.
    I put on some soft Indian flute music and he lay there for a while listening playing with his teddy.
    Then I sang him some more songs.
    Then gave him his bottle of milk (usually gets it after his nap) and that sent him straight out like a light (finally).
    Poor little love. Can't beat TLC to help make things a little better.

Melinda Guest

~ Vicks Baby Balsam on chest, back and bottom of feet (someone told me that trick but I can't remember who?!)
    ~ Baby Panadol if necessary (depending on whether or not there is a temperature and Jacob's general mood)
    ~ Lots of cuddles
    ~ Offer plenty of fluids as well as healthy food (although most of the time he is quite fussy with his food when he is unwell and doesn't eat much).
    ~ He will usually spend the night in bed with us too as he really needs that extra comfort and cuddles that only Mummy and Daddy can provide!

ok... someone told me to squirt breastmilk up their nose. I haven't as yet tried this, coz Tallon hasn't had a cold yet! She swears it works. Worth a try I guess... it's free! hehe

Yep BM works here Seth had a snuffy nose and I did it and it works, also works for goopy eye

*hugs*
    Cailin

We use baby balsam here too, steamy showers ,Saline spray and baby panodol if they have a temp

Vapouriser and lots of demazin works for us

Debbie Lee Guest

We use baby balsam too... and panadol if she's super grizzly. I've used Fess but wouldn't say it worked very well. Extra fluids too. Oh... and, of course, loads of cuddles!

ethan's just gotten over the worst of his cold.. thank goodness! it took a while though cause my gp and the MCHN both suggested we just sit it out. 48 hours later and no sign of it clearing up, we started giving him dymatapp and it seemed to work. also used baby balsam when his nose was really stuffy. i have the saline spray but we couldn't use it cause if we went anywhere near his nose, he'd scream the house down!

Kellee Guest

I wanted to use Dimetapp too and went to the pharmacy to get it (Charlie was about 13 months old at the time) but they scared me by saying that using it increases the risk of SIDS. I really don't know how much truth is in that, but I've been reluctant to use it since hearing that. We use saline spray (had to use it a lot when he was really little as he was always a bit snuffly) and Euky Bear Rub (similar to Vick's).