Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when did you give baby a dummy?

One of the ladies from MG trained her baby to suck a toy, not a dummy. She bought 2 identical toys (mouses) with pointy noses and would alternate them ... they were just big enough to not fall out of the cot.

I offered Aurelia a binkie a few times when she was a few weeks old, particularly when we were driving around in the car trying to get her to nod off! She took it a few times, but mostly she wouldn't. But now, she's started teething (i think she was 2 1/2 months when she started), and wants it quite often now, particularly when she sleeps.

With DD I waited a week or two I think because being my first baby I was all "my baby will NEVER have a dummy blah blah blah LOL". I was also totally paranoid it would screw up breastfeeding (it didn't). But DD never really got attached to it, she ditched it for good herself at about 7 months.

With DS I took one to the hospital and he had it from day one. He always wanted to suck on something and with a just-turned-two year old as well I couldn't sit on the couch letting him comfort suck all day long. He is still quite attached to his dummy at 15mths - I really want to get rid of it but not sure where to start now LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12