Thread: When did you move DS or DD into a bed?

Default When did you move DS or DD into a bed?

We are soon going to have two, 13months apart. And I'm hoping that DS will be able to stay in his bassinet long enough, until DD is ready to move out of her cot, to avoid having to purchase another cot. So i'm just wanting to know the ages everyone moved their children into a junior bed? To see if this is possible or wheather we are dreaming!!!

Last edited by Meluchja; March 4th, 2007 at 12:59 PM.

We moved our first child into a big bed at 2 and a half and our 2nd was in a big bed by 16 months and my 3rd is still in his cot. It all depends on the child really.. If your DD sleeps well in her cot you can try to her to sleep in a big bed.. no harm in trying is there

Good luck with your pregnancy

B456, I just noticed yor ticker, only 5 days to go, wooohooo and counting, you must be getting anxious and excited.

Thanks ladies. It definately seems every baby is different, hopefully our little girl will be ready, if not I will try and see if we can borrow a cot off someone.

Mel, we moved Jack into a bed at about 16 or 17 months too, for the same reason, bub 2 was due and we didn't want 2 cots. It worked really well, no problems at all. But Jack was sleeping well in the cot anyway. But others have found their child has slept better when moved to a bed so maybe that doesn't make a difference.

Ashlea was in a big bed at 18 months cause she learnt how to climb out of her cot!
    She looked so tiny mut we got a bed rail and she was fine

Kirsty77 Guest

My 2 girls are 13 months apart also and Gemma is coming up to 18 months and is still not ready for her big girl bed. We bought her a toddler/cot sized bed so it wouldn't be so daunting, but apparently it still is for her!LOL Poor thing will lay in it but will not sleep in it yet. Argh well maybe Jasmine will use it when shes a toddler!PMSL

Another here with 13 month age gap and DD is still in her cot, with no signs of being ready for a bed. She would definately try and climb out except that she sleeps in sleeping bags

My 2 will only be 10-11 months between them... so ive had NO choice but to buy to cots!!!

I think as soon as DS knows how to safely climb off the bed we'll get him one. He sleeps much better on our bed (queen size) so I doubt he'll be daunted by his own 'big' bed hehe. I do put him in the cot for his sleep if I know I'm going to be outside or somewhere where I won't hear him wake up.

I'm looking forward to being able to sit with him in his bed and read his stories and things, and then lying down with him until he's asleep if he needs it That's sooooo not possible with the cot hehe.

Nessa - glad to hear you did it at 12 months! We might start looking into it soon

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Mel, I put DS1 in a bed at 20 months before DS2 was born, and we have had all sorts of issues getting him to stay in there to go to sleep and even now, over a year later, one of us needs to be near his room till he is asleep to keep putting him back to bed. (although it might only be once or twice now.)

I have bought another cot for this one, as I figure I can sell them when I am finished with them. I will be leaving DS2 in a cot as long as I can and have DS 3 in it's own cot.

But I agree, I think it depends on the child, and what suits you!

28 months for DD#1 - transition was problem free.

Good luck.

DS was moved into a toddler bed nearly 2 months ago(just over 13 mths)as i'm due to have #2 today!!(still pregnant..ugh)he has been fine although has just in the last week realised he can climb out, so had a few days of him getting out in the night to play with his toys!!but this is handy in the morning when he gets out and plays quietly in there..well the only drawback with this has been the fact that he gets up and unplugs the monitor and does naughty things in there(like yesterday ahen he pulled about 200 huggies wipes out of the tub and left them in a big soggy pile on his floor!!)

but apart from that his sleep hasn't changed at all..

kerry Guest

My DD went straight from her bassinet into her bed at 5 months. It is lower than a normal bed. She is now 13.5mths and climbs in and out at will, but it is totally safe.

Mya went into a big girls bed at 16months. She loved it straight away & we had no problems at all

Libby1985 Guest

i only had DD in her cot for a couple of weeks and then she just slept on my queen size bed with me until early last year, and then when me and DP starting to live together i just got her a bed and stuck her in that, and i had a foam mattress that id pull out onto the floor everytime she went to sleep. She was fine in it because when she'd wake up she'd just play on the bed and when she was ready to get up she'd go to the end of the bed and starting crying for me... but i had fun for a couple of weeks when she learnt how to get off the bed by herself, she'd jump off and start crying an id have to go and put her back on the bed because she couldnt get on it! about 4-5 months ago i bought her a little step stool thing because she was having trouble getting up. Now she can do it all by herself and i have had no troubles with her...

Zhai was 16 months i think. I had to stay in his room till he fell asleep for a week, but now i put him to bed and have no troubles......