Thread: When did you switch to a booster seat in the car?

Default When did you switch to a booster seat in the car?

In preparation for the new bub, we are wondering whether we need to buy another car seat, or whether we can just buy a booster seat for DS. He will be 18 months and nearly 14kgs. What age/size did you make the switch to a booster?

Melinda Guest

I think they have to be 14kgs before you can switch to a booster seat.

We moved our DS to a booster seat when his eye level was level with the top of the car seat. I think he was 2 and a half and just on 14 kg.

Kam was just under 14kg when we switched. Aust Saftey requirements recommend 14kg or like Inspiral said when their eye level reaches the top of the seat.

Love

We switched Ds when he was 14 plus kilos at Xmas time but for long trips I've still preferred him in his car seat. We will switch to booster only by time bubs comes in June DS will be 31mths and is now 15 plus kilos plus head height is over top of seat

Colleen Guest

Good Question! I have also been wondering when I can switch!

Jaykob is already 14 kilos, but so young, the thing is we need to have a 2nd seat for the other car now and I didnt really want to buy a "baby" seat I would rather get a booster seat....

I think I will get the booster, as it will only be used occasionally.. So basically I had been told 14 kilos too ..

Jo, I think 18months is too young. With the extra security of the 5 point harness I don't think you should switch to a booster while he is only 18mo.
    They wriggle around too much without the harness...

I know it is a pain in the ass, (I hate car seats!!) but if I had too choose, It would be the car seat for an 18mo.

Anyway, that is just my opinion :)

Tanya

We are juggling this issue at the moment. Olivia is 2 but is not even 10kg yet, so we asked the advice of the Red Cross Safety Shop (who stock and fit car seats, capsules, boosters etc) and they recommended a "Safe and Sound Maxi Rider" by Britax car seat which turns into a booster, so you get 3 for the price of one?

Not sure if this is any help?

another option you may want to consider is the harness that you can attach to the seat bolt and use with a booster and it comes over there head and across their middle holding them like the top half of the baby seat - my SIL did this with her daughter because she didn't believe she was ready for a booster but size wise she was to big for a carseat. I also plan on getting this for DS for out of town car trips especially (we live in a small small country town) cause I believe it safer than a booster seat no matter the age (especially when they lob to the side while asleep).

Was jsut thinking.... maybe you could hire a capsule for the new bub and keep DS in the car seat for a few more months. The by the time the the little'un is ready for the car seat DS might be more prepared for a booster...?

Just a suggestion

Tanya

It can be such a pain having to get another car seat. Tanias idea is a great one. I didnt move the kids to a booster until they were 21/2. Boosters are great cos they can last for years.

Jo

Thanks heaps for your advice everyone!

Tanya, that is a really good idea, that way we can have a few more months before we have to make a purchase. And I was always quite envious of people with capsules, who didn't have to wake up their bub when taking them out of the car!

Jaspen, I've seen those harnesses, they are a great idea too. I think you can get booster seats with the holes for the harness too, that's another good option.

Lucy, I will have to check out the Maxirider when I go to the baby shop, another possibility!

DS moved to a booster seat just before he turned two. I can't remember his exact weight but he was pretty much at the acceptable size to go into one. I too did not feel safe for him to just have the normal seat belt so we also got a harness for him to use. i figured it would keep him safer in case we were in an accident and also he couldn't get out of it whilst we were driving and potentially cause problems to himself or cause us to loose concentration whilst driving.