Thread: When did your baby first go in a swimming pool?

Default When did your baby first go in a swimming pool?

Oskar loves water. He doesn't mind it tipped over his head in the bath or seem to care when he splashes it in his eyes. Lately, when I have him in his baby bath he kicks and moves his arms splashing so much the bath ends up only half full! The bathroom floor, myself and two towels end up quite saturated.

Consequently, I would love to take him into the heated pool in our apartment block, but at 9 weeks I don't know if he's too young. When did your baby first go in a pool?

I know you can buy waterproof nappies and I did some research to find out that the any immunisations he hasn't had are not for water-borne diseases so waiting until after them is not necessary. Anything else I should consider?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We started Jonah with lessons at our local swimming pool at 6 months, that's the earliest they take them there but I don't know about taking them yourself. Hope someone can help Jonah LOVES the water and he absolutely bursts when we have to wait until his class starts.

I guess the biggest worry besides water-borne diseases would be the chlonination or chemicals used to keep the water free from those diseases. Depending on how his skin is. I honestly didn't think too much about it... Matilda was in a pool from week 8 I think, mid winter LOL, we always had a shower straight afterwards & a massage after with moisturiser... but she started swimming lessons at 4 months. She loves the water now and begs to go swimming. We haven't done swimming lessons in ages so we have to start up again soon.

Kaitlyn had her first swim when she was about 4months old in the sea...but she started in a pool about 5months. If you are worried check with your peadiatrician perhaps.

Olivia was a Darwin born baby, and the heat up there meant I was desparate to be able to get her in the water......she was around 8 weeks from memory, in a friends pool. Then swimming lessons at 4 months.........

Charlie was around 5 months (as he was a winter baby) and in our own pool here in SA...........

Yeah I think we took Louis to the pools when he was around 4 months old....We took him at the start of winter also but he got sick afterwards - don't know if it was a coincidence or not so I've avoided taking him over winter and will start again soon.

My little fella Connor has just started swimming lessons so about 4months old he started. I was told that it is fine to take them in the water once they can hold their heads up. We make sure that Connor is washed really well after being in the water and rub heaps of cream into him. If your little one loves the bath, im sure he`ll love the pool.

6 months.....she has now moved into the 3 year old group and is the star of the class (have to brag - sorry). Her development and confidence in the water is worth every cent we pay. Its mighty enjoyable to watch too. I will be doing the same for #2.

Jack started swimming lessons at 3 months (they can start that age at our swim school). I will do the same with no 2, like mbear said, they do so well when they start young. Jack has always loved water and swimming and it's great to know that he's learning to be safe in water early on.

On the skin issue, at that age Jack still had eczema (sp?) but we also washed him well afterwards and used moisturer and the pool didn't seem to make it any worse.

Callum has just started and he is 7 months but he hates it and i am thinking of pulling him out and waiting abit longer...

Doesnt help that i cry too and he see's that .....lol

Missy