Thread: When did your baby say mum/dad or versions of?

Question When did your baby say mum/dad or versions of?

My DS is 9 months and hasn't said these words yet. He does make sounds and likes to "chat" sometimes. He's def not a quiet baby! What is the "normal" time frame for saying first words? I know my DD said mum at about 7 1/2 months and dad followed about a week later. By 12 months she could say hi, no, more etc. Should I be concerd - I'm not really yet but just thought I'd ask!

Depends if you mean just saying the sound or using the word in context. DD1 would babble them from about 10months but actually used them about 12/13. She learnt the signs before that though. And dog actually came before mum I wouldnt be worried, well over 1 is the average.

Jordie all bubs are so different.
    My DD said Mum, Nan, Bird in very quick succession one weekend when she was 8months old - and then never ever shut up She could count (not mimic - count) to 10 at 12 months and recite the alphabet correctly at 18months.
    My DS on the other hand is the silent assassin he didn't say dad until 9months and then only rarely, didn't say mum until 14months. He could however say Dartheeeeee before either word lol. He still only has a few words that are only for special occasions lol. He knows exactly what we're saying but responds usually with a grunt.

DD1 said dad at 8 months, mum took forever. DD2 said mum at 6ish months... I honestly don't remember when DS said them...

Both mine have been late talkers. DS didn’t say anything discernable until about 18 months and we had to wait till 20 months for maaa and daaa. He talks just fine now. DD is the same, she’s 20 months now, has a handful of words and has only just managed maaa and daaa. She’ll talk when she’s ready, probably soonish.

I know that they have both understood every single thing I have said from very early on by their non-word communication skills. I remember one day I was trying to convince DS to go to the toilet and he was refusing, I think DD would have been about 14 months old, she silently went and got his potty and brought it to him.
    Last edited by Epacris; July 13th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.