Thread: When does a Premmie baby STOP being a premmie?

Default When does a Premmie baby STOP being a premmie?

I have a friend who had a baby at 34 weeks (I think)

When I see her she says that she is 'blah blah' weeks, but really she is 'blah'

How long does a premmie stay one...KWIM? If they are out in the 'world' and are two months old, are they doing things a full term baby would be doing at the same age....or is it because they're little or what?

Do they still smile at 5 or so weeks, do they still try and roll or do they not do it till they are 'supposed' to as far as what their EDD was.....

rambling...but confused and just wanna know

I;m not totally sure, but I'm pretty sure their age and corrected age is still taken into accound, even up to about 12-18+ months, depending on how premature they were. For example, a micro premmie born at 27 week will be monitored for alot longer than a bub born at 35 weeks. But yep, I'm pretty sure bubs are taken for their corrected age rather than their 'birth' age for a fair while, iykwim.
    Not sure about the development side of things tho, I guess that would also depend ont he prematurity of the baby tho.

Sam was born at 36 weeks. I've been told that I can expect it to take until he's two before he has fully caught up developmentally.

As for constantly going by his corrected age - ie, him being 6 months corrected when his actual age is 7 months - I think we stopped doing that ourselves at around 8-9 months. The medical world stopped at about 12 months, but still note that he was born prematurely for some things.

Honestly, it all depends on the baby. Despite being premature, Sam has done some things quite early, even for his actual age. He's also doing some things quite late and is big for his age, so nobody would really be aware that he was a prem at 21 months unless they were told.

BW

Premmie babies don't actually "catch up" They just grow to a stage where you can't tell the difference anymore.

So, for a baby like Sam, born at 36 weeks, that point comes quite early, because it's towards the end of the first year where you start to not really notice a couple of weeks. A baby born at 30 weeks might appear "caught up" a bit before two. Working in childcare, I have had instances where we have taken adjusted age into account right up to 4 years, for a little guy born at 24 weeks, because the difference is enormous for quite a long time.

The same sort of applies for reaching milestones. A baby born at 24 weeks couldn't possibly be expected to reach, say a walking milestone at the same time as a full-termer, but a baby born at 35 weeks probably would.

It completely depends on the child.

What everyone else said Personally with DS1, who was a 35 weeker, we stopped mentioning it, even to HCPs by 12 months. With DS2, who was a 33 weeker, it is still a pertinent fact, so we still mention it. But I'm guessing by the time he's one it won't be a big deal anymore. DS1 met most of his milestones at average times, mostly his corrected age. DS2 seems to be doing the same thing. It's funny though, DS2 struggles to 'do' things (I'm assuming because of his prematurity and size), but is much more motivated than DS1 ever was, so he gets there anyway

Thanks girls....I was just curious and when I asked her the question....she didn't really know! She's not found BB

DD was 7 weeks prem and we corrected her age for about the first 12 months, but medially they have done it for two years, it is still mentioned with her Paeds etc as she has some ongoing lung issues. She will always be a prem, but just not referred to as being a prem

She did achieve most things on her corrected age, she didn't start smiling until she was 2 months and 4 weeks old!