Thread: When to go to the Dr?

Default When to go to the Dr?

DS is now onto his sixth day of being unwell. It seems to be just a cold, but it's his first illness so I'm kind of winging it Since yesterday his throat sounds really sore, and now when he coughs it's like a real bark (although he's not coughing often). He's still off his food, but his nose isn't running quite as much.

After the first night (which was a horror) he's been sleeping sort of okay, but last night was terrible again, and his temp was up a bit (38.something all night).

So.......I kind of expected him to be getting better now, and as he's not, I feel like I should take him to the GP today. But can/will they do anything to help? Or should I just let this ride it's course? I don't want to drag him out unnecessarily.

TIA from a stressed and confused mummy

Is his coughing worse of a night? If it's a barking cough (kind of like a seal) I'd get him to the Dr as it could be croup. For Zander they usually prescribe 3 days of Pred Mix and the cough is gone.

I don't think his cough is that bad Sarah, as in he's not doing it that often. And it doesn't seem to be worse at night. Thanks for the tip though. I keep worrying that he's going to start coughing alot.

Just had a whole lot of green muck come out his nose again, so I don't think his nose is getting better after all .

sez id take him, after 6 days you should see some improvment, better safe than sorry

Hi Janie
    If it was a cold I would expect him to be showing some improvement by now. Also six days of not/poor eating is getting to be a little too long. If there is no improvement by tomorrow I think it is time to visit the doctor.

I would go if your little one isn't improving at all within 5 days or seems to be getting worse. If he has been unwell for 5-6 days and seems to be getting better then he probably is but if nothing has changed then I would be going to the GP.

Hi Janie,

I had a nasty bout cold/flu for about 2 weeks, it seems to be the one that's going around everywhere. The sore throat was a killer & I was terrified DD would get it because I felt so terrible, I wouldn't wish it upon a bubba.

I'd take him to the Dr 'cause these things can turn into chest infections (or worse, pneumonia) if little ones can't effectively cough up the gunk.

Even if they say it's just a matter of riding it out, it will help reassure you.

AJ.
    Last edited by ajw0108; May 5th, 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks everyone, I rang the GP about half an hour ago and made an appt for 11.15. I'll feel better if they say just to wait it out, and if there's something else, then I'll be glad we went! It's funny, I'm normally so sure with this sort of thing, but given that I'm new to baby illness, I just feel like an idiot! Thank goodness for BB

Jols, as you know he seemed better on Friday, but by Saturday started to go downhill again, and then yesterday was terrible! I hope we didn't share any germs with anyone

Enchanted Guest

Hi Sez,

for your poor little man. I agree with Sarah in that it sounds like the type of croup that is going around at the moment. I took O to the Dr last Monday with a runny nose and a cough and the Dr said all was fine but to watch out for croup (seal like cough and breathing funny when they breathe in). He hadn't got any better so I took him back on Thursday and my Dr said he had developed croup but at this stage there wasn't a lot he could do unless O got worse as the meds wouldn't help him. My Dr said it seems to be a different strain of croup this year as it keeps coming back after you think it has gone His daughter has it and another Dr he knows, his granddaughter has it and it keeps coming back. He said all we could do was yo keep the heater on and keep him warm and give him panadol when needed.

Sorry for the novel but just wanted to share what I was told. I hope N gets better soon
    Last edited by Enchanted; May 5th, 2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added comment

please dont worry sez!! we dont mind sharing germs, we have a rule in mothers group that if the kids have colds their still welcome to come its only if they have bugs like gastro that the kids arnt welcome! we have a very healthy group of kids!! sometime germ sharing is good

So glad I took him! His throat is very inflammed, and he has an ear infection. So on ABs now, hope they do the trick soon

Thanks again everyone

he'll pick up in the next couple if days!!! try to get 3 doses into him today!!

Janie, I always used to dither in indecision, now I have a rule. If I'm ever in any doubt, i just take her. The drs never mind checking over a small child, no matter how many times you take them in. Hope he's feeling better soon!