Thread: When to go into a bed??

Default When to go into a bed??

My DD will be 12 months when my next bub is born. The new baby will go into a cradle for a few months but I'm wondering if I can get away with moving DD into a bed when the new baby is ready to move from the cradle into a cot. What age do you normally move from a cot to a bed?

I think this depends a lot on the child and how much they understand. I always had a big bed set up in my boys rooms (alongside the cot) and we would sit there for stories before bed and then put him in his cot for sleeping. My first son asked to sleep in a big bed when he was 18 months old. We put some quilts on the floor next to him for padding and he rolled out a few times but was much happier in there.

DS2 went to a big bed when he was 15 months. We asked him if he wanted to sleep in the cot or the big bed and he pointed to the big bed, so he slept in there. He was fine in there and only fell out once. The only thing I can think of is that once they are in a big bed they are 'free to roam'

You need to have a relaxed outlook, or be very stern with them so that they stay put once you get them in bed.In saying that we didn't have any problems until we put them in the same room. DS1 still stays in his bed but DS2 is a bit of a yoyo!

Good luck!

My DD was 18months but i do have friends who made the move earlier (14-16months), like others said its up to the child and how they are. My DD had no transition issues i put her "big girls bed" in a new room that had been decorated for her and gave her the choice one night. I just asked if she wanted her cot or big girls bed and she went and stood beside the bed, we've never looked back and i shut the door at night (she cant yet open it) this saves her from roaming the house as i know she would get up to mischief if she got out. Will you be using a bassinette for your new bub? if so maybe you wont need to hurry her into a big bed.

DS1 moved to a bed at around 16 months due to the impending arrival of DS2. The move went really smoothly, but I know others who have had problems at this age too, so it definitely depends on the child. Preparation is also a key - we got Jack used to it ahead of time, talking up the "big boy bed" and doing the bedtime routine on his bed for a few nights before he actually slept in it. It worked a charm.

DS is nearly 2, and still in a cot.
    He rolls around alot in his sleep, and has only just (in the last week) started to try to get out of his cot, so we will be moving him very soon.

Benny is almost 16 months and I have just this week started to put him in the single bed in his room for his daytime sleep. I have to put him back a few times but most mornings he will eventually fall asleep. I have number 3 due in April so I wanted to make the transition as smooth and hassle free as possible - hopefuly by then he will be in the bed at night too and it won't be another change for him. The cot and the bed are going to be in the same room...should be interesting. We may need to shift the cot into our room for a few months.
    We have heaps of cushions and doonas on the floor - hoping to et a guard rail up for night time sleeps. He has fallen off a couple of times but not as much as he gets off himself!

Alexa is still in her cot but we took the side off it last Friday night & have had no falls from bed & she doesnt get out of bed till morning, even when she crys & screams in bed she still stays under the covers LOL... & she was a real wriggle worm in bed too... strange that she doesnt move much now!!!

Darcy made the decision herself at 16 months. She just flat out refused to get in the cot. I didn't have a single bed so I just dragged her mattress onto the floor. We've had a few teething probs, but nothing time won't heal.