Thread: When to go off formula

Default When to go off formula

I have a 14month old who is still on 3 bottles a day...trying to get him to go to a cup with full cream milk during the day but he isnt liking it!.
    When should you stop giving formula and only give normal milk?

Also i have gone through like a billion different types of cups but he doesnt seem to know how to use them...doent knoew how to suck through straw etc ...anyone else have that prob?

Thanks!

When Matilda was the same age she adamently refused to drink out of a cup. We just persisted with one sort for a week. We even mixed whole milk with formula to see if that would work for her. Does he drink milk out of the bottle? Maybe try to get him used to the flavour as it is different to formula before trying it out of a cup. MAybe with half formula & half milk for a while and warmed as usual. Goodluck!

Thanks christy.
    I have tried mixing the milk with the formula and sometimes he will take it and other times he wont even have one sip.
    Does this mean that might not need a lunchtime bottle anymore?
    He never finishes all of his bottles completely ( i give him 240ml)

Debbie Lee Guest

Gab stopped having formula at 12 months but, in saying that, she took to cow's milk like a duck to water so it was easy for us.
    So, am I right in reading that you offer cow's milk in a cup? Have you tried it in a bottle?
    Gabby still has a bottle of cow's milk before bed (she's 18 months old).

I took Matilda's bottles down to around 150mls I think at 16 months but it is whatever you want to do. I swapped to toddler milk because Matilda reacts to cows milk and I kept giving her 1 before her nap and 1 at bedtime. I stopped having one in the morning & would get her up to a good breakky instead. I think it all depends on how you want things to go for your family & what she responds best too. I find that Matilda settles so much easier with a drink of milk in her room in the quiet before a nap that I use it as a settling thing, if Lewis is getting enough dairy from other sources he probably doesn't need one during the day. Matilda loves cheese & yogurt & drinks more water now that her bottles have gone down in size.

He has the mix of formula and cows milk in a bottle during the day and i have given him formula only for his early morning and night bottles.
    He has only just figured out how to drink from a sippy cup and can only have water in that. I once tried some warm cows milk but he didnt take to it.

Should i maybe get some toddler formula to try before giving him milk....? all too confusing!
    I give him 1-2 little baby yoghurts a day. He doesnt really like cheese on its own so i sometimes put it in his dinner.

Debbie Lee Guest

I don't think Gab was a big fan of milk in a sippy cup when I first tried it - yet she happily drinks it from a bottle.
    She only has water in the sippy cup too.

I wouldn't bother with toddler formula if he is going ok with cows milk. It's up to you of course though. He probably doesn't need the lunchtime bottle anymore, if he is not drinking much of it and it sounds like he is getting enough calcium from other food anyway.

Just keep persevering with the cup, he will get the hang of it eventually. I would try giving him cows milk or a milk/formula mix in his morning and night time bottles and see how he goes with that. If he takes to that then you can phase out the formula.

We slowly changed DS from formula to cows milk at around 14 Months....We started making up 180ml bottles of formula then topped it up with Cows milk, and slowly made smaller amounts of formula until it was all cows milk....so it was a slow thing, but he didnt notice any difference at all.
    As with the sippy cups, DS still has his drinks in a bottle, as he mucks around too much with the cups....He fills his mouth with water from the cup, then lets it spill out! The non spill sippy cups, he hasnt learnt to suck properly....So we are going to try again later!!! Good luck with it all.

Yeah I wouldn't have gone the toddler milk if it wasn't for Matilda's reaction to cows milk.

thanks for all the advice....he seems to be fine when he has had cows milk so i guess there is no need for toddler formula.
    Maybe he is ready to drop that lunchtime bottle....think i will start doing a bit of cows milk with his formula at night and morning....
    will let you know how i go!

Debbie Lee Guest

Hi Sara... thought you might find this thread interesting too

Definitely let us know how it all goes!

I only now give Alex cows milk when he has his sleeps so he has one at lunch time and then one when he goes to sleep at night. He has about 400mls a day. I've tried to give him milk in a cup but he loves to spit it out at the moment so it's safer in the bottle and only at sleep time.

My kids actually liked UHT milk, I think because it seems to be creamier. Now they have normal fresh cows milk but its good that they will drink powdered or UHT milk so that I have back up for when we run out.