Thread: When to introduce a pillow?

Jennifer Guest

Default When to introduce a pillow?

Hi All

Just wondering when its ok to introduce a pillow for your toddler. My DD who is 9 months has a teddy in her cot at night and she always seems to end up using it as a pillow...

So when can you use a baby pillow??

Thanks

We didn't do the pillow thing until DD moved into her big bed.

Alexzander has had a little pillow since he was about 10 months old. Prior to that, because of being a reflux bub, he had a pillow underneath his mattress to keep his head elevated. He was bunching up his blankets to lay on as well, so I figured he needed/wanted something to sleep on.

Charlie moved from hammock to cot at 10 months, and Olivia from hammock to cot at 11 months, and this is when I started them with a pillow. In both cases I gave them the pillow I had used all the while breastfeeding them, so I am sure it smelt "comforting" for them?

If you are concerned, maybe make the cot up with the pillow UNDER the bottom sheet: that way they have the pillow, but zero risk of it smothering them.......

Great idea Lucy.

I started DS with a pillow when I moved him into a bed at about 16 months. But I think by about 9 months or so they would be all right with a pillow. The SIDS risk is mostly the first 6 months.

Eliza was given a pillow at 18 months when she was in hospital and she would not sleep without one when she came home, I still try to sneak it under the cot sheet but she pulls it out most nights I find it at her feet lol
    Bec

NewmumLou Guest

Ahh good question Jennifer, i was just thinking about the same thing this week as Josh has been using his arm as a pillow every night and it looks uncomfortable.

I gave Aidyn a junior pillow just before he turned 2...

Great qn, I hadn't really thought about this. Lucy tends to sleep on her tummy so I don't think I'll introduce a pillow just yet. Might wait until the cot turns into a bed.

Callum has been using a pillow for about 2 months. He is 1 now but tends to sleep all over the cot not so much on his pillow or he will sleep on his monkey.

mooshie Guest

i have always given my kiddies pillows when they move into a bed - dd #1 was 21mths, ds 3yrs and 6mths and dd well she is 2 and still in a cot and won't be going into a bed until at least 3yrs (if not longer) so no pillow for her yet.

i did read somewhere a few years ago that actually sleeping with a pillow is not good for young children (sorry don't know why etc etc) but this has always been in my mind, i don't think it was a sids thing more of a posture type thing.

anyway i always start off with a junior pillow, my ds is nearly 7yrs old and he has only just in the last 6mths had a normal pillow

I was thinking about waiting until Milo moves from a cot to a bed to introduce a pillow. I was another who had heard they weren't good for little kids.
    Whats a junior pillow, is that just smaller?

I think once Ella moves into her single bed (at around 18-19 months) i'll introduce a pillow. I haven't felt comfortable with giving her one before now.

A junior pillow is the same size ie length X width, but has a lot less stuffing/is flatter than a normal pillow. I got Aidyns from Target.