Thread: When to move from Bassinet to Cot?

Default When to move from Bassinet to Cot?

When is a good time to move a baby from a bassinet to a cot. I look at the size of our cot and think that Tori would just get lost in it, but on the other hand I dont want her to become to attached to sleeping in her bassinet and for it to be difficult for her to adjust to sleeping in her cot.

Is it a good idea to ease babies into the idea of sleeping in their cot- ie. putting them in it for 1 sleep a day, then 2 etc?

Mackenzie was in a bassinet until about 3 months. We put her in the cot for a day sleep the first time and then the next day she went to the cot for all her sleeps from then on. She looked soooo tiny in her cot but we soon got use to it. She transferred over no problems.

We moived Jordan into his cot when his arms got too long for the cradle, i think about 4 months.
    He loved the cot. They do look tiny but we found he slept better as he had more room and didnt hit his arms when he stretched out.

We moved Sammy from bassinette to cot for day sleeps at 3 months old and did it gradually for night sleeps as well.

Jo

littlerigger Guest

ryan went into his cot on friday night. so 11 weeks. he's just to big for the bassinette now!!

We moved Declan when he got too big for the bassinette (about 4 months old I think). We just put him straight from bassinette to cot and we had no problems, I think he actually likes it more as he has more room.

Dylan outgrew his bassinette at 2 months (yes, he's a big boy) and it so happened that we had just been away for Christmas where he had been sleeping in a portacot anyway so the move didn't bother him at all.

I think as long as you keep the bedtime ritual the same it doesn't really matter what you lie them down in.

NewmumLou Guest

My little one didnt like the bassinet, he cried and cried when i would put him in their. In the first week of coming home i placed him in the cot and he loves it, its his own little domain, he loves looking at all his toys, the border on the walls and all the cute things in his room!

hi ali,

im not moving lachlan until he is sleeping a bit longer at night, he is still waking about 5 times and its just easier to have him next to me. our bassinett is quite big too so he will probably stll be in it when he is 4 ha ha!!

We put DS straight into a cot at 4mo when he literally grew out of his bassinette!! We had absolutely no probs with it. He slept very well. However, I did miss not having him in the bedroom with me. We had a moniter, and i could hear everything.

Jodie259 Guest

I moved my son from the basinette in our room to the cot in his own room at 11 weeks (two weeks ago). I thought we would have to do it gradually... but he's had no problems with it. Like the others, my boy's arms were hitting the sides of his basinette... and now he can spread out in his cot. He has a mobile to look at which he loves.

The basinette was great for us as his bedroom is at the end of our house... and during this cold winter I hate getting up twice during the night/morning to get him out of bed. But I found that I have slept so much better myself since he is in his room. I don't stir at every little move he makes. Yet I do hear him (on his monitor) whenever he wakes up and lets us know.

I had to move Darcy from the cradle to the cot at around 7-8weeks. That was because she learnt to roll at 4weeks and kept rolling, making the cradle rock and hitting her head on the side. Bumpers aren't safe so I didn't have a choice. Silly buggar, I was having enough problems with her sleeping as it was.