Thread: When to move to a big bed?

Default When to move to a big bed?

Im sure there have been loads of threads created on this particular topic, but when did you move your toddler into a big bed? What were the ramifications? We are going up to my MIL for 2.5 weeks over christmas and we are taking the portacot but MIL is also going to buy some bed rails for the single bed in the spare room as it is such a hot room and we felt we might try day sleeps to start off with and see how it goes? Any ideas?
    Ta

Debbie Lee Guest

I have no idea when I'm going to start Gabby in a big bed! I know that's she's nowhere near ready yet... well, at least I don't feel she's ready. I might reconsider it when she's 2? Really, I have no clue so I'll be watching this thread keenly

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow neverplan! 18 months? Gab it 20 months and hasn't even tried to climb out! You really do have little monkeys! hehehe

Alex had a cot that you can take the sides off so we did that first at around 14months old and for the last couple of months he's been in a big bed. At first we did the matress on the floor and he only fell out a couple of times. At the moment he is sleeping in the top half of the bunk bed which has sides on we took the beds apart so Kimberley and Alex could be in one room.

Kimberley went in to a big bed at 2 but had the sides off the cot from 1 years old she never moved much in her sleep so we knew she was safe.

beastie Guest

xander moved around 18 month too.

i think he fell out of his new bed... 4 times

Debbie Lee Guest

Hmmm... maybe I am being too chicken then? I'll talk to Neil. We might see how Gab goes in a big bed in the New Year...

Nah Deb, heaps of others have waited longer!! I say keep them in there until you absolutely have to move them into a bed. But if you want the cot for number 2 maybe move Gabby to the big girl bed 2 months before? I moved Matilda at 16 months because she was climbing in & out of the cot & it was okay, but then it took us 2 months to get her to sleep in the bed easily. I reckon if they are happy in their cots keep them there!! Its so much easier to move them later and you can explain to then the idea of staying in bed rather than jumping out & running to see what you are doing. We still are putting Matilda back into her bed 4-5 times a night before she finally falls asleep in her bed.

ETA: Here is a thread that we previously discussed moving to a big bed
    Last edited by christy; November 25th, 2006 at 08:17 AM.

Debbie Lee Guest

Phew.. thanks Christy.
    Gab sleeps SO well in her cot it's ridiculous. I wasn't keen to put her in a big bed until she can get in and out of it herself.
    We've got a large cradle so it'll be a good 4-6 months before the new baby will need a cot after he/she is born. So, yeah, I probably won't need to start Gab in the big bed until she's well over 2. I'll see how we go tho. They grow so fast and it constantly astounds me how quickly she learns to do things so it may not be as far away as I anticipate.

Thanks guys!
    Deb im with you, Hendrix is sleeping so well in his cot and hasnt ever tried to climb out either, i dont want him to feel booted out either but am going to try and move him before the bubba arrives. The bubba will be in a bassinet though so there really is no rush, i just wanted others opinions. I guess if they are happy why move them??

Deb,
    Eliza is in her cot still and hasnt tried to climb out but apparently sleeps in a bed at daycare..I'm waiting for her to notice the difference and say something which may take along time since she cant say much now lol
    Bec

Jenna moved into her big girls bed at about 16m cause she was screaming about being in the cot. Day sleeps were the hardest, but still compeltely doable.
    At 18m she got really sick and wanted to be back int he "bubby bed" so we moved her back there, and she's spent the last 6w in there.
    Cots are soooooo much easier - I wouldn't be in any rush to try and get them into a bed for any other reason than safety - ie jumping out of thecot.
    Jenna is slowly warming up to being in the bed again, but we are happy to go off her cues - specially since she has now learnt how to open doors and we can't keep her in her room!!!
    I dont really want a midnight visitor while I'm trying to settle a newborn

I moved Zhai into a big bed when he was 16months coz he didnt seem to have enough room. He kept on kicking the side of his cot in his sleep and headbutting it so we did the switch. He has only fallen out once, but apart from that he has been great! At first i had to stay in there till he went to sleep but i just edged out of the room. And i left the cot up in his room. I have re-made it for bubba and put stuffed toys in it, although Bubba is going in our room in a bassinette for a while. I may put bubba in the cot for day sleeps?? I dont know.
    Goodluck.

We haven't really thought about it either and have no intentions of moving Zander until he's at least two unless of course he starts climbing. Occasionally he'll try to climb in, but never out so far! He moves alot in his sleep so I'm worried he'll fall out & also the bed he'll be going into is my old one which is a king single & fairly high for such a little person.

Well, i have had to do the big bed move twice so far... With Xander we just felt he was ready - he only fell out twice and he's in a high king single. That was at 18 months. Declan was a little different, even though we felt bad, we had to boot him out of the cot as Anneliese grew out of her cradle (tiny cradle) So he went into a big boy bed at 16 months. He's doing fine, never fallen out of bed, and is pretty good about staying in it once he's there (Xander and Declan share a room... its been hard!!) Next time they move beds it will be into bunk beds which is a few years off yet...

Good luck!!

Aidyn is 2.5 and is still in his cot.... reason being because he has never tried to climb out, plus he sleeps really well in there.
    We were going to move him over Christmas time, but I'm not so sure now.... I mean, why fix it if its not broken?
    We will make the move sometime in the next 6 months before he turns 3 anyway I guess... by then he will probably be too big for his cot!

Sammy still sleeps with us and in our bed so think we have a long time to prepare for a new bed. We had planned though to get him a car bed for his 2nd birthday but will see how we go.

Jo

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Jonah's been in his big boy bed for a few weeks now and he sleeps oh so better in it. He would always wake up crying and in the end was screaming when we were putting him to bed. He was always banging his head and getting his legs stuck between the bars. And now he sleeps better than ever, we don't hear a peep out of him once he has gone to bed.

It's interesting that there are so many different experiences!

We moved Jack into a bed at about 17 months due to baby no 2 being due a couple of months later. The move also entailed a move into a new room. We got him to choose the stickers for his new walls and his new linen. Once the room was ready he played in it in the afternoons and evenings for a couple of days. Each night we asked him did he want to sleep in the big boy bed or go into the cot in the other room. For 2 nights he chose the cot. On night 3 he chose the bed. He took to it straight away. At about week 4 in the new bed we had 3 nights where he kept getting up after being put down but that stopped straight away and we haven't had any more problems since.

Good luck with your decision.