Thread: When playing outside is too much hassle!

Default When playing outside is too much hassle!

Boys want to play outside. OK no worries better get dressed first
    Mason needs his hat so find hats, then Angus needs sunscreen (they won't go out without it now due to creche but that's a good habit).
    Got them all sunscreened up with their hats and now have to find shoes because of the dry grass and pric*les. "Don't want to wear gumboots because it's not raining" (aparantley gumboots are only for wearing in the rain - what would I know hey!) Hunting high and low for Mason missing shoe and in the meantime Mason starts the video and wants to watch Bob the Builer.

Hooray! The shoe is found but the moment is gone. Boys refuse to go outside and spend the next hour or so whining to me and fighting over which video to watch till I spit it and chuck them out side where Angus pounds on the (unlocked I have to add) glass door blubbering at me and pulling sad puppy dog faces.

So after lunch they go on out and while I'm feeding bubs I hear thud.....thud.....giggle....thud. On inspection they have thrown clumps of dirt all over the concrete and taken great delight at watching them smash apart on impact. Now I guess I have something to do tomorrow - sweeping up dirt. Can't be bothered doing it today.

I'm beginning to think that letting them play on the play station like zombies might not be so bad afterall.

This has turned into a kind of mini vent lol but does anyone elses kids lose interest in playing outside once you go through the whole getting them ready to go. I think just letting them go outside in their jammies or in a state of semi nudity would be better!
    Does anyone else have this trouble...

Sammi, I used to put myself through all of that too hun, until i decided that it wasn't worth the stress, now when my boys go outside, they either have pants, t-shirt and sunscreen or just jocks and sunscreen, nick usually puts his own shoes on, as he is the only one who knows where they are

Fletch, both of mine always need a bath after being outside too,

LOL Sam it takes aaaaages to go anywhere outside here as well. Zander (and I!) must be related to Casper we're so fair, so it means no outside whatsoever without sunscreen. He's very good with it & will name body parts as they're being creamed. Same with our grass, dry & *****ly, so the shoes have to go on after the search for them of course. Hats are ok, he has about 6 or 7 so I can always find one LOL!

It's actually me that gets bored of the idea by the time we get outside, he still wants to go. He'd live outside if I let him LOL!

I'm a bad mum LOL - I don't bother with the sunscreen cause they just come and go and there is hardly any point as far as I'm concerned for just 5 mins outside. Paige would be happy to go all day naked, but I insist she at least wears pants outside LMAO. They do grab a hat though, but shoes are optional.

till I spit it and chuck them out side where Angus pounds on the (unlocked I have to add) glass door blubbering at me and pulling sad puppy dog faces
    PML cause this is exactly what happens with Gaby and me! And then I get all "big bad mean mum" with her and make her stay outside for a while!

Even tho it is very hot up here (average 38-40) every day I am not too concerned about the sunscreen cause she is undercover. But we find cause it is so hot that once outside she wants to come straight back in.

And if we do have her in her paddling pool, she ends up getting dirt everywhere and brings it all inside with her wet feet and body - somehow she always manages to sneak inside all wet when I have turned my head for 2 seconds despite me being ready with a towel!!!

Phew its aneffort somedays alright.

Yep.
    Our backyard is pretty self contained and surrounded by a 6ft fence so no one can see in. So usually I just let her run around in her nappy, or even nudie if she's playing with water. I used to make her do the whole hat/shoes/etc thing but I can't be bothered anymore. As soon as she's out of my sight she strips off every stitch she has on anyway lol.

I usually just let them out in the backyard in thier nappies with a hat and sunscreen. I'm trying to teach Yasin to use the loo so sometimes he just goes starkers.
    If Yasin wants to go into the courtyard to play with the neighbours he has to put some clothes on.
    I'm a bit uptight about the midday sun so between 10.30 and 3 I keep them under cover - they are allowed on the patio but no further.
    If they get really grotty I just get the hose out and make it into a fountain and Yasin runs around under it which gets him nice and clean. By next summer Imran should be old enough to enjoy getting clean under the hose too.

Sammy is in and out all day everyday. We have a fully enclosed yard with big verandahs around the house so more often that not hes just without a nappy and climbing on his toys, riding on his cars or bouncing on his bouncy. Going in the pool though..or out to the beach or park its definately lathered up, hat the works.

Jo

Ok, after reading your mini-vent, Sammi, I've decided on a plan of action...it goes something like this:
    Every day, when we have our first nappy change, or after a shower (depending on if he had a shower with Daddy the night before or not), I'm gonna sunscreen his sorry arse before dressing him, just like I put on sunscreen on my face every blessed morning of the year..just in case. THEN, I'm gonna make sure, when he's old enough for shoes and if he ever takes to them (LOL!), there's always a pair or 3 near the door. THEN I'm gonna keep a couple of hats on the hallstand, near the door, with our hats - within grabbing distance.
    Thanks to your anecdotes here, I'm gonna try with all my might to avoid having 'outside time' be a production, for both of our sakes! Wish me luck...

My kids are in and out the back yard all day. They are shockers. Teh doesn't worry about clothes, she prefers to stay nude for most of the day. Occassionally she will grab her thongs, or dress up in one of the pairs of gumboots at the backdoor, only after she checks for "piders".

Noah is the same only, usually he has clothes on, not always for a long time, but certainly longer than Tehya.

Our backyard is pretty small and covered in tree's, I also don't let them out there in the middle of the day, too hot. But if I think it's sunny enough I will grab them and slather them up with blockout too.

Slack I know, should be on everytime....

Sammi, I am so hearing you hun. It will get better I promise, soon enough they will refuse the sunscreen, hats, and probably even their shirts when it comes to going outside.

LOL Sam, that is so funny...sorry probably wasn't funny at the time. Kids are just so cute with changing their minds. Amy loves playing in the dirt. I hate her being dirty but will probably have to get used to it!

Hey Sam, you could write a book or have a blog to make lots of money as you write about your adventures well!

NewmumLou Guest

Lol.... ladies! I was looking forward to Joshua walking... i am exhausted thinking about it! I think Joshua is going to love being outdoors, he cries every time someone goes out without him!
    Oh by the way for the ladies who dont put heaps of sunscreen on your kids.... dont fret! The lastest research shows that sunscreen is definatly important, but kids do need some time in the sun without it so they GET vitamin d .... I THINK IT WAS 10 MINS A DAY?