Thread: When to start play time??

Default When to start play time??

Hi guys
    I know I shouldnt listen to everything my MCHN says....but when she was here last week she said I need to start play/tummy time with Josh. Ok fair enough I agree thats a good thing to do. Her recommendation tho was after his feed, dont let him go back to sleep straight away and have 15 minutes or so of different activities during the day. Well he falls asleep during just about every feed, getting a burp out of him is hard enough! I tried waking him and playing afew times, but it only seemed to lead to a crabby baby and he didnt settle well at all until his next feed. So at this point any suggestions would be great!
    As for tummy time, he seems to like that activity least of all (well second least after bath time lol)....Im thinking maybe its just a bit soon for him??? Even tho the nurse says he has great neck muscles so its time to start.

I would say start to encourage some playtime soon, but I wouldnt recommend waking him or trying to keep him awake! I would say do it just after he wakes
    Sounds like she wants to implement the feed/play/sleep routine (which I never subscribed to!)
    Do whatever suits you both

Helen i know your not b/fing but i was told to feed on 1 side, then when Cookie was done change her nappy & have some play time before offering the other side.
    So maybe you could feed Josh half the bottle have some play time then offer him the half.

As for tummy time not all babies enjoy it, my 1st didn't enjoy it till 3 months old but Cookie loves her tummy time.

my MCHN said to do it too when they are awake for a little bit, only a minute a day is ok when they are newborn. She said the most comfy way is to hold them in the crook of your arm with a firm grip so their tummy is on your arm Imidwife showed me how to do it, ask the MCHN how to do it if you are unsure. or on your lap. Tara didnt like it at all so I started her tummy time with her laying on my tummy and her head on my breasts and thats how she did tummytime and it worked for us.

I remember when Peter was born and in that first month and we were really set on doing the "sleep, eat, play" thing, so after his bottle (when he didn't fall asleep, so not often!!), we would put him down on his play mat and try to play with him, wiggling toys etc and he would just lie there like "what on earth are you doing?". In retrospect, it was just too early and none of us really enjoyed it. We just did it because we thought we were supposed to.

I think whatever interaction you can have with your newborn counts as play. They are awake so little of the time! In fact, I remember one nurse telling me that just changing their nappy counts as awake/play/interaction time for a newborn. Do whatever feels like its bonding and enjoyable for you and your DS.

Like others said, I wouldn't wake him up for "play" yet. We did eventually get onto an sleep-eat-play routine (and still have it), but it took a while. I don't think its until about 4-6 weeks that they really start to be awake a bit more, so its hard to do much before then.

As far as tummy time goes, do whatever you can. Most babies hate tummy time until they are quite a bit older. DS loathed it until he was about 7 months or even older. So we just did a little bit each day. (by little I mean like 1 minute, or even less when he was younger).

Sounds like you are doing great!

We were told to try her out as soon as we could but that she may only like it for a minute or two and that would slowly increase. She still only goes about 5 minutes before she starts to get a bit frustrated and we decide it's time to stop! We try to be interactive with her during feeds (the early parts when she is still wide eyed and looking around), nappy changes and baths. When they are this little, they can't handle much so it is better to try and incorporate it into necessary activities, I find.

I think some babies may be more into eat then sleep then play. Just do what works for you. For us it changes everyday. In regards to tummy time it may pay to start that early on. We didn't and DS hates it with a passion. Im lucky to get 5 minutes out of him and he is four months old. I do tummy time in the morning after his long sleep as he likes it more when he is rested but never after a feed as it all comes up all over him Just try diff things and stick to what works. At 2 weeks old DS was more into sleeping than playing so play time may be minimal for you at this stage. That will soon change though! At this age even sitting and poking your tounge out at him is probably considered play time as he learns about the world.

Play time doesn't have to be actual play time with toys. I found with my two they didn't really get interested in rattles and whatnot till they were a couple of months old at least.

It can be cuddles, eye contact, chatting to your baby, a quick stroll around the back yard, singing a song, reading a book, bath time, wandering around the house describing the surroundings. A musical mobile is great if you have one...my two looooved it. If bub wants to go to sleep after 2 minutes of "play", that's okay. Enjoy it...they will be awake for longer soon enough. But it's good practice for you too...so you can start to get ideas for when they are awake for longer.

Tummy time can last 20 seconds or even less if necessary.

Don't get too hung up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    Play time doesn't have to be actual play time with toys. I found with my two they didn't really get interested in rattles and whatnot till they were a couple of months old at least.

It can be cuddles, eye contact, chatting to your baby, a quick stroll around the back yard, singing a song, reading a book, bath time, wandering around the house describing the surroundings. A musical mobile is great if you have one...my two looooved it. If bub wants to go to sleep after 2 minutes of "play", that's okay. Enjoy it...they will be awake for longer soon enough. But it's good practice for you too...so you can start to get ideas for when they are awake for longer.

Tummy time can last 20 seconds or even less if necessary.

Don't get too hung up about it.
    :yeahthat: this is exactly what I do. Sometimes its just putting DD in her cot for 5 minutes with the mobile on and she follows it with her eyes, or me bouncing her on my lap and making silly faces or siniging to her.

Awe thank you all so much for your replies What you guys have said makes much more sense than trying to wake the poor little guy mind you tho today is one of those days he just doesnt want to settle lol

StephV Guest

I had the same issue as you. But as they get older and you join a Mothers Group, they actually say the best playtime is face time with you. They love this and although we don't think its play it is to them. So just have a chat with your little one - they love it!

Lirri didn't really get into sleep feed play until she was about 9 weeks. And now she's about 16 weeks and wakes an hour before a feed to play, feeds and then 5 mins and sleep.... babies...where's their manual?

Also, Lirri hated tummy time until she was about 12 weeks old. But tummy time is also laying them across your knees to burb them. I used to get 30 secs out of her with the normal tummy time. And you know what, she has now rolled at 3 and a half months. So having no tummy time until 12 weeks never hurt her at all!

i agree...do what feels right for you...my ds1 loved tummy time which made it very easy and he'd be happy on his tummy for quite a while. whereas ds2 does not seem to be a huge fan of tummy time on his mat. he definitely prefers it when he is laying on my chest...

DS - two years old
    DS - 9 weeks old