Thread: when to stop nighttime bottle?

Default when to stop nighttime bottle?

My daughter is 2 and a half and still having a bottle before bed. I have never really actually thought about getting rid of it til the other day, I totally forgot its something she should grow out of lol. When did your little ones stop their night time bottle?

DD#1 was bottle fed from 7 months as I went back to work full time and she was about the same age as your little one when I stopped the bedtime bottle but it took a while and eventually we discussed it and as a friend had just had a baby we gave all Jess' bottles to the baby and made a big thing about it. At this age you can talk about it a bit at least although Jess was not happy about giving up the bottle at least giving them to a tiny baby cause she was "a big girl" worked for us. DD#2 was bf until one and went straight to a cup so I avoided the whole problem with her LOL.

Olivia stopped hers on her 2nd birthday........I wanted her bottles to pass onto Charlie, and her consumption of milk from a cup and other calcium was high, so we made a big performance of "throwing all the bottles into the bin for the bin men" and she was on a cup from that point on........

(Needless to day, I retireved the bottles from the bin and washed them all when she wasn't looking and we then used them for Charlie from a few weeks later!)

Thanks ladies I think i might try and wean her off slowly, she is very used to her dinner, bath, bottle, bed routine. So I think I might slowly decrease the ammount of milk in her bottle over the next few nights til she realises she doesnt need it

We just removed the bottle and swapped it over with a cup. As she was only just 1 we still cuddld her like she was having her bottle, then over time we just removed the cup of milk before bed and replaced it with milk in a cup thru out the day. Now she is nearly 3 she only drinks water and a little bit of milk and we have her drink bottle full of water just lying around so she helps herself shen she's thirsty. So no easy solution but if you can explain that she's a 'big girl' and maybe take her shopping for a new cup for her milk it might make it easier for you both?

Don't know if this would be helpful, but friends are trying to ween their little one off middle-of-the-night bottles and so are only offering her water. I realise that this is different to the situation you have on your hands, but they are getting results. Now that Caitie is realising that all that's on offer is water, she is not bothering to ask for it. Don't know if this is perhaps an option if you find you can't take the bottle away... Get her to reject it...?

We're planning on doing the same as Lucy & it's Zander's 2nd birthday this Tuesday!

mooshie Guest

our dd is 2 1/2yrs and she still has a bottle in the morning when she gets up (my dh gives it to her lol he is a sucker, she asks - he gives) and she has one at nighttime before bed, she loves her bottie before bed, sometimes she has her milk in a cup before bed. she only ever has milk in the morning and at night and it is something she enjoys.

my ds is nearly 7 and he still has a drink of milk obviously in a cup lol, every night before bed - not warm just cold, i guess i still have a drink of milk before bed to lol.

personally if it is not bothering you or your dd by having a bottle, then why take it away - they are only little for such a short time. sorry that is just my personal opinion

Thanks ladies I might try the idea with the cup instead of weaning her off so she doesnt get too attatched to the bottle, if she doesnt like it then it then there isnt any rush to get rid of it. Im not too fussed either way, just hear so many stories of younger children not having bottle, makes me feel I'm doing something wrong!

My DD has babysat 5 year olds who still have a bedtime bottle so I wouldn't be too stressed Renee, i think it depends on what you feel comfortable with.

My dd was about 4 and abit. Just before she went to school. Sorry but hers was a morning thing. Liked to get up and watch tv having the bottle. She use to get it herself and evern now at the age of 13 years, she likes to get bottles (water bottles that is) and lay down and have them.