Thread: When to stop swaddling?

Default When to stop swaddling?

Flynn is now 5 months old and is still being swaddled to sleep. I would like to get him out of the habit before the really hot weather hits (we have aircon, but that doesn't help when we are out and about). At what ages did others stop swaddling and what was your technique?

mumma22 Guest

well i stopped at about 6 mnths old and the way to do it is step by step... take or lossen one arm ect until he is eventually swaddle free.. otherwise i found the babe wont settle as they see it as a sleeping cue so really you need to just gradually start a new one now without swaddling involved...
    good luck
    mumma22

Rory I have the same problem you have. Marley won't sleep at all without being wrapped like a mummy! Soon as she is free, she wakes. I tried to put her to sleep without wrapping the other day and it didn't work. She is constantly shoving her fingers in her mouth and just starts playing. As soon as I wrap her, bang, she is fast asleep. She sleeps so well, I hate the idea of disturbing her so I might leave it for another month. I have a GroBag for her which Chelsea used and loved but I don't know when she will get to go in it!!! Funny how some babies hate being wrapped and others love it. Ours obviously love it LOL!!!

Milo stopped us too. He fought and fought until his arms were unwrapped, and would sleep with them up around his head, so I put him in a grobag.
    This would have been at 4-5 months.

I've been putting Caleb in a sleeping bag under his covers from about 8 weeks.
    They still are a bit confined but have more freedom to move and as it gets warmer I'll get a lighter bag. I like sleeping bags too for when they get older. They can kick off the blankets and move about without getting cold.

Kynan is 17.5 months and still wrapped for his day sleeps! I just use a very lightweight stretchy wrap (gr8 expectations I think). Hoping to wean him off it by the time the next baby is born but we'll see how he goes!

clare076 Guest

I think Shelby was about 6 months old when she decided not to be wrapped anymore. I would find she escaped from it too quickly so I used to just wrap her really lightly and then leave her once it came undone.

Do we need to ween them off being wrapped if they are going into daycare??

Both my boys were around the 7 months when i stopped wrapping them. Both however still need/ed to have it near their face to go to sleep though.