Thread: When to stop wrapping

Default When to stop wrapping

Natalie seems to settle better when I wrap her, always has. Now she is stronger though and manages to free herself, pretty much every sleep. The arms come out first and she has started sucking her fists to settle herself, which of course is fine. My problem is that at night when she wakes she has kicked the wrap off completely and I'm worried about her getting cold as the weather starts changing. I was thinking of putting her in a sleeping bag? Does anyone have any stories about the transition from wrap to sleeping bag? When's a good age and do they settle ok in the bag straight away, or does it take some work? TIA!

Hi there. Yes if she is unwrapping then id stop and maybe use sleeping bag if its not to warm or get some thin, long sleeve PJ's as that is what I put Callum in if its abit on the cool side. I think its better for them to be abit warmer then cold as they tend to wake if cold.

Good luck!!

I stopped wrapping Eleanor a few weeks ago and now use a sleeping bag as she is always kicking her blankets off. I have found she is sleeping much better with it also.

we made the transition at about 9 weeks to a sleeping bag with no problems, dd loves to suck her thumb so needs it to settle, when it's cool we have her in a jump suit with sheet and blanket, if it's hot then short sleeved top with/without sheet

EDT: forgot to mention i only use the sleeping bag at night for sleep asociation, during day just put her under sheet/blanket
    Last edited by Olive; March 12th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.

I stopped wrapping Ella during the day when she turned 3Mo as she was alway busting out of them and was getting really sweaty during the day. But I still wrap Ella during the night. She sometimes breaks free but only wakes when she's hungry. I've also been considering moving her into a sleeping bag as the nights get cooler and she kicks off all her sheets.

I'd be interested to see how you go.

Ann

We didn't stop wrapping until around 7-8 months. My son was very strong and from day 1 would only sleep with a certain type of wrap.

Once he started getting out of this then we stopped it altogether

It took a few weeks of him learning to stop playing and rolling over, but now he sleeps really well.

Oh - they say you should wrap when they still have the startle reflex (jump/jerk at things or for no reason), so if she is still doing that, maybe consider a different type of wrap rather than the sleeping bag?

I transferred Jesse from a wrap to a sleeping bag at around 8 weeks i think. He was always getting out of them and was getting to big for the wraps i used. I just put him straight in the sleeping bag one night and he was fine.. though in saying that, he would always sleep during the day with just a blanket over him, not wrapped, so he was kinda use to having his arms out sometimes while sleeping. You could purhaps start using the sleeping bags during the day to get her use to having her arms free while sleeping and then eventually use them at night too. For us the sleeping bags are great as Jesse likes to pull blankets over his face when he's tired!

I wrapped Kaitlyn until she was about 8months old as she just loved it. I actually ended up sewing her a special wrap with arms as she used to get out of it as well. I tried to move her to a sleeping back at around 6months and she was not ready and let me know !. Then at around 8months I tried again and walla ...no issue. Just followed the standard bedtime routine and the transition was easy.

I think all bubs are different - Kaitlyn REALLY loved the wrap.

NewmumLou Guest

I switched Joshua at about 4 months from wrap to sleeping bag as he would wriggle to much and half way through the night would wake up because he is cold.... so now we use sleeping bags and they are fabulous!

Thanks all for sharing. I was going to try the sleeping bag last night because it was cooler and I haven't bought a light-weight one yet, only have a hand-me-down warmer one. But she didn't settle. Had to go back to the wrap. I think we might wait a bit longer, or maybe try during the day. Thanks again.

i know this sounds really bizarre but we use to do both - we put DS in the sleeping bag and then wrapped ontop - OK maybe a little extreme now as the weather is still a little warm - however in the winter months this worked a treat - because if he broke out of the wrap (which normally he did) I knew that he was still warm from the sleeping bag - he loved being wrapped and wouldn't settle without it - we wrapped for a very long time - I think it was close to 8months - but again he loved it and wanted it - we stopped doing it once the weather started to warm up - maybe you could try this - you never know it may work

Thanks Dianna. My mum suggested the same thing this afternoon! I reckon we'll give it a try once it starts getting colder at night.

julesy Guest

Can I just ask everyone what type/brand of sleeping bag they are using??? I have a winter gro-bag, but I think it is still too hot for it even tho the nights are getting cooler. Can you get sleeping bags with long sleeves???

julesy

julesy Guest

Actually, was just walking through target and found a sleeping bag with long sleeves for $17!! Will give it a go. It's so frustrating at the moment with the weather, because at 630pm when Nina goes to bed, it's still too warm to put her into warm weather gear...but come the morning, and even I am pulling out the flanno pants!!! Can't wait for this weather to decide on the season and stick with it!!!! LOL

Julesy