Thread: Where to Buy Nice, Good Quality Wooden Toys Online?

Default Where to Buy Nice, Good Quality Wooden Toys Online?

DD doesn't have many toys and is quite happy playing with a bag of pegs etc. most of the time but I'd like to buy her some nice wooden toys. All the smaller toy shops around here are crammed with stuff, with aisles the width of half a pram and I get the irrits because every time I go to touch something I feel like I'm going to bring down a whole shelf full of toys. So even though they have nice stuff, I always come out empty-handed.

So I want to buy online instead. Apart from eBay, where else do people recommend or what brands for wooden toys?

You could try timberriffictoys - I have brought stuff from them online and they are really good quality. Some of it is pretty exxie, but so worth it when you are able to use it for all of your children and not toss it after a few months. I *think* there was a place called 'heirloom toys' too, but not sure if they exist anymore - it was years ago when I came across them.

I noticed you are in Melbourne, i just went to the yarra glenn market this am and bought the best little wooden trolley, it is so well made. The man who makes them (and all sorts of other toys) is an older gentleman. He told me he made a trolly for his kids and it is still around, the grand kids are using it now!

He is based in croyden and i picked up a buisness card with a website. Not sure if i am allowed to post it or not. The name is 'Sams Handcrafts' The wooden trucks were great too. PM if you want to website details or phone number.

Matryoshka Guest

Google "the peanut gallery" it is my all time favourite store, their toys are beautiful and good quality, and reasonably priced.

omg the peanut gallery has some really beautiful wooden toys!! I'm glad I found this thread as I've wanted to get Oskar some nice wooden toys for ages!!

Kids gift list has some great things too, some smaller wooden things & some larger stuff. Love that website for soooo many things. There are soooo many sites to choose from, this is coming from the Online Shopping Queen LOL...you could just google "wooden toys" most good children websites have a great range of wooden toys. I love the wooden toys, no batteries & they dont break in a matter of seconds. This house is full of wooden toys!

Guys, guys, I can't keep up!

As soon as I think I've finalised my wishlist then someone else posts another great site with more goodies!

Thanks for all your suggestions and do keep them coming.

Hey Fiona,

This is a little OT, because it's not an online store, but recently I came across a "free trade" toy store in Nicholson St, Fitzroy, just along from Scotchmer st, so it's probably not too far from you? The owner is gorgeous, and had some interesting & ethically sourced toys. I bought a lovely Tambour for DS's 1st birthday, which is made from recyled palm or something, that would normally have been burnt or turned into wood chips. Not super cheap, but then I feel like I'm making a better choice here than I would be if I went to Toys R Us iykwim.

ooooooh, so that would be somewhere near the Empress Hotel Janno? I tend to navigate using pubs as landmarks LOL.

Sounds good. I'll put it on the places to wander to list.

Sadly, these days I'm not sure about the pubs, so can neither confirm nor deny....mainly because I wasn't looking for pubs, and it's probably the first time I've been along that strip of shops ever. While I'm thinking of it, there was also a lovely book shop close by too, which had a great selection of kids books.

My favourite topic- quality wooden toys! These are my fav sites- just google the name:
    send a toy
    honeybee toys
    my wooden toys
    dragonfly toys
    winterwood toys (see wooden toys on the left menu down the bottom)
    Lots of German made toys are terrfic quality- you'll find them on these sites and the same brands keep appearing. I have given you this list so you can compare prices and postage! GL