Thread: Where do u think is the best place to sit on a plane if u have a toddler in your lap?

Question Where do u think is the best place to sit on a plane if u have a toddler in your lap?

Hi

Im going to be travelling to Sydney from Queensland and back in early May with my 23 month old daughter. I was just wondering if anybody has any ideas on where I should sit on the plane. I travelled to Sydney last year with my daughter and mother but we flew with Jetstar (never again it was soooooo cramped). This time its just my daughter and I and we are going Quantas and I believe u can checkin on the internet 24 hours before. She like to watch tv so I was thinking of getting a seat right at the front in the middle cos they have the tv up there. Then I thought maybe I should get a window seat and then I thought no she might deside to climb over me and i wont be quick enough to get her. I just can't think of what to do. Im going to be 19 weeks pregnant too (I know Im a very very brave woman). Any ideas??????

I would be going for an aisle seat for sure. In case either of you needs to get up and walk around (toilets/restless legs).

Maybe an aisle seat near the giant telly?

HTH,
    rmy

i travelled with my 18 month old DD on my own with Jetstar and i requested right at the back...i.e no one behind us !!!
    I just flew qantas last week (international though) and we all had screens infront of us (back of seat infront of us), with a handy remote....i dont know if domestic planes have that too....so wouldnt really matter if you were up the front. BUT, in saying that, the front seats do have more leg room.....but then its only an hour or so isnt it???

Yeah the domestics have screens sort of at the front then middle and u look up at it sort of thing. I was going to go with Virgin because they have rolled out thier new fleet with screens on the back of all the seats with foxtel (Disney Playhouse is one of my daughter favourites cos it has the Wiggles) but the whole fleet doesnt have the tvs yet and they couldnt assure me that the plane we would be on would have them. I know I sound a bit anal about all this but it was hell with wings when we flew with my daughter last year. She was sooooooo hyperactive and she had her own seat because no one would sit next to us.

I dont know. Its a toughy. You could go for more leg space witht he front row in economy, or go at the back of the plane and chance getting more seats. Hmmmm.
    I reckon book the middle seat beside the window as you are less likely to have 2 single people assigned to you. Whereas if you book an aisle or a window, its easy to have a couple beside you.
    At least its only a short flight. Some colouring books and a sticker book plus some food, and you;ll almost be there!

All the flights we have been on from Brissy to Sydney have been booked up & we have had to have Matilda "on our laps"... its been very hard & we find the back seats the best because at least its only 1.5 hours to deal with and in the back you just have a little bit more give at standing up & not being in the centre of the plane, ykwim?

Bring a deck of cards you can leave on the plane & some colouring stuff that she hasn't seen before.... loads of distractions and snacks she's not normally allowed which she loves....

We always bring tick tacs and give her 1 every 5 minutes or so & she thinks she's getting lollies the whole trip

Mothers with babies are allowed on first (along with the elderley, pregnant woman), so if you dont have assigned seats, at least you will get pick of the run being first on. Most airlines cater for children - colouring books, some snacks etc. But do take your own. My DD had a tantrum on the way home, layed on the floor and kicked and screamed (lovely !!), but we were right at the back of the plane....so not a whole lot of people were disturbed.

Back of the plane definitely as there are less people there and there is a bit more space to walk (near the toilets) if your baby has to get out. Also you are close to the toilets if need be.

I have now travelled 4 times on a plane with Chelsea... and each time we get put at the back of the plane (when flying Virgin BLue) close to the baby/disabled toilet and on window seats.

When i fly Jetstar we are normally middle of the plane....few rows back from emergency exit get aisle seats.....

I flew a month back with Qantas and decided if I fly again anytime this year with Maddy (whilst she is under 2 and therefore on my lap) I would definately do my darndest to get not only an aisle seat but also one at the bulkhead. I managed to get the aisle seat in the front row behind business class and there was SO much more leg room, plus the toilets were nice and close and you didn't have people squeezing past you constantly.

Another back of the plane fan here too, and the hosties were geatwith us and played with her too.