Thread: Where do you change your toddler?

Default Where do you change your toddler?

Next month I'm having #2 bubba and my DS turns 2 years old. We've moved him into a big bed, and all the "baby" equipment (including the change table) has gone into the nursery ready for the new arrival. I'm just having one dilemma though... where to change DS!

Traditionally we've stuck with using the change table as DH is tall with a bad back, plus I've got significant hip problems with this pregnancy - so am trying to avoid lifting DS as well, plus bending really doesn't work. So while most of our friends change toddlers on the floor, it's not really been an option for us - if I get down to the floor at present, I can't get back up!

I had assumed we'd just change him on his new bed, but we're also finding this really tricky. He's got eczema and we have quite a moisturing routine (and eczema cream when required) that occurs every night. But... DS is wanting to roll away, there's nowhere convenient to stash everything and if it's put beside him he wants to get to it (anyone for a toddler with his hand in 500ml's of moisturiser!?!?). I can sit on a small stool at the edge of the bed, but there's nowhere that DH can easily sit or stand to help (bed has got bedrails which kinda doesn't help).

So the battle I'm having is where to do it! I didn't really want to keep using the change table in the baby's room as I don't think that would be feasible for long. I don't want to put the change table back in DS's room in case he's asleep when I need to change baby. I don't have room in my bathroom to put the change table there (and honestly I like having the change table/clothes/nappies all in close reach with a bubba). When I've tried the moisturising routine in the bathroom after a bath he just runs around and I end up with a cold tired frustrated grumpy child, plus I'm not mobile enough to chase him... but if I try hold him down it's just unhappy-town for all of us.

Should I just persevere with changing him on the bed or can anyone else think of another solution? He's a happy child who will accept a routine if we're firm and so I'm prepared to stick to my guns with a solution and I think he'll accept it happily if it is consistent (and made as pleasant as possible). I was hoping to find a solution now that we don't need to change once baby arrives! DH and I often tag-team when moisturising, and we can't seem to find a set-up that allows us to work as a team the way we used to... or to let one person easily manage a poopy toddler who's trying to escape up the bed!

What does everyone else do?
    TIA

I prob cant help too much but our change table is in the rumpus/kids play room, that way I can use it for both kids, I find it difficult too changing a toddler on the floor and thats without the moisturising routine

We've got a change mat (with sloping sides) on top of a chest of drawers. All the wipes etc are in the top drawer. If we want to change bub 2 (when he/she comes) in a different place we'll get another mat. Do you have somewhere you could put a mat? DD is the same if I try to change her on the floor or bed... little wriggle-bot!

Why don't you look for a second change table? Even a second hand one to see you through until he's tt-ed.

I was going to say bed, that's what I did with DS1 when we moved out his change table....but we have also got one of those cheap folding change tables in the bathroom (we have a big bathroom). It's set up all the time for DS2, makes bathtime much easier. Could you do something like that, they are about $60.

aah thanks for the good suggestions - lots of food for thought. Have just had a long "debate" (only nearly an argument!) with DH on the topic (), that's right, we know how to have a wild Saturday night! We're realising that one size doesn't fit all as our physical needs are VERY different (DH 6'4", me 5'2")...
    DH would prefer to change him on our bed (quite high). I'd prefer to change him on his own bed and sit on a stool. So... we're thinking we buy a cheap second change mat and a nappy caddy and both just use the location that suits us. We can use the equipment to set the behaviour pattern (I think he will respond to our consistent instructions even if we change him in different spots) and I can put the creams and stuff on the far side of the caddy (away from curious toddler fingies). Plus the sloping sides of the change mat will slow his rolling (a bit anyway haha). If we're tag-teaming we'd probably use our bed as I can sit beside him while DH stands at the side of the bed - wriggle-bot WILL be immobilised!

And if that still doesn't work I think I'd try a cheap folding change table... but given I can't lift him at the moment anyway, will avoid that for now.
    Interestingly I think that while we've been undecided about the best way to do this, we haven't actually been as clear with him about what to do - so he's experimenting to see how much freedom he can have whilst happily nudie-pot!

Thanks so much ladies!! Now to implement it and see how THAT goes!

We just changed the older child in the baby's room! At this age they only have a nappy change about 3 times during the day so it's not as inconvenient as it sounds. At bath time, once again in the baby's room - we do bathtime for them all at the same time. I started TT-ing DS when DD1 was about 4 months old. DD1 is almost ready to be TTd now, so it's not like it was a situation that is going to last a long time. All lotions and potions remained with the change table, saved doubling up. Now DS is nearly 4 so we keep his moisturiser in his room because he can dress himself after we moisturise him to keep the eczema at bay, and the 2 girls use the same creams etc which are on the shelf of the change table.

Before DD1 was born I thought having the change table in the baby's room would be a massive PITA ie what happens if the baby is sleeping and DS needs to be changed? But surprisingly that just never seems to happen. When we are about to go out, both girls get a fresh nappy before getting in the car so easier to have it all in the one place. On the odd occasion the toddler might get changed on the floor...but the big thing for us is getting bath time for all 3 of them done at the same time, DH and I tag-team! Once again, easier to have all the gear in the one place.

Both times we moved the table before the baby was born so the older child was used to the new location before the new bub arrived. No problems.

When I had DS2 there was 16 months gap, I managed to find a cheap second hand wooden change table. so I had one change table in the babies room and another one in the family room so that I could change DS1 there. It worked well, plus I found I could also change the baby there as well during the day so I wasn't having to leave DS1 alone.

When my DD came along we were co-sleeping and DS was in the bed too (long story) but whenever DD would wake in the night for a change or a feed DS DID NOT BUDGE! Don't know if your DS is a heavy sleeper or not, but you could just keep the change table in his room....you'd have to test it out though!