Thread: where does your newborn sleep??

Default where does your newborn sleep??

Wasn't sure where to post this question, hopefull this is ok or else feel free to move it!

When our bub arrives we would like he/she to sleep in our bedroom for a while. However we can't fit a cot into our bedroom and we are wondering what would be the best option taking into account baby's comfort and our tight budget.

So do we go for a cradle, a bassinett or a pram bassinett. A work colleague suggested a pram with the bassinett option but is it ok for bub to be in that all night?? And do they come with mattress etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first and we have no idea.....! Thanx!

We used a hammock to start with & then at about 6-7months Zander went into his cot in his bedroom.

Sarah I've looked in some baby shops and never seen a baby hammock - where do you get them from?

I got mine from Amby Baby, as have lots of other members. Just google Amby Baby, they are a QLD company.

We used a bassinette very briefly, before deciding that co-sleeping worked heaps better for us. The bassinette was also useful as it could be easily moved out of the bedroom for day sleeps.

Exclamation

Lis,

I found that once I started telling people I was pg they were very generous in wanting to give there now unused baby things. If you let people know (ie:work, neighbours, church, friends) that you are after a bassinette etc, you will be suprised at the people who start offering their things. We have been very grateful of peple's generosity also being on a tight budget.
    We have Stewart in our room at the moment in a bassinette, we find it much easier to attend to him while he is with us.
    Good luck

Hey there,
    I was actually just flicking through my Essence Magazine from the Australian Breastfeeding Association and I found this amazing thing called My Little Bed. It has been designed by a Midwife/Lactation Consultant and is a little bed that fits in between you and your partner. What a fantastic idea!! Their website is Baby Products Australia if you want to have a look, it might be what you are looking for?
    Last edited by Astrolady; November 7th, 2006 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Link Removal

All of my boys were in a basinette. The first and last born were in their own room from the first night home but our middle son slept in the basinette in our room for his first 4wks, due to feeding so often and coming into winter brrrrrr LOL

Love

Mya either slept with DF & myself or in a cradle next to our bed.
    With this next bubba i have a big baby basket thingy,which i'm going to try out next to my bed. Either that or he will sleep in with us again.

Toby's sleeping in a bassinette in our room at the moment. He's feeding about every three hours so it's just easier with him close by. Once he starts to go longer between feeds he will go into his room in the cot.
    We did the same with Emily, she moved into her room at about 7 weeks when she dropped her 2am feed.
    I'd also probably be a bit concerned about the SIDS thing with the pram bassinette, especially coming into the warmer weather.
    The one we have is woven like a basket so that air can flow through. Then you just buy a little mattress to go in it, most baby shops stock them.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into them all. I'm the first of my friends to have a little one so I don't have many people to ask these things - thank god for BB!

I hadn't thought about the SIDS thing with the pram bassinett. Thanks for pointing that out.

What happened to the hammock Emma?

Fraser Guest

we used a cot insert, it was this big rectangle mattress thing with sides - we sat it on an old chest (glory box type thing) that I used as a bedside table in our bedroom during the night and during the day he slept in the cot insert actually in his cot. I think it was about $80

if you're interested I can have a look at what brand it is etc.

Cheers, Emily

There are a few companies that hire out the baby hammocks. I was quoted $80 for 3 months.