Thread: Where to put the car seat?

catherine Guest

Default Where to put the car seat?

I'm going into Baby Bunting today to get the car seat fitted - where is the best place to put it? Someone said it is safest in the middle as if someone hits you side-on then bubs will be better protected, but how are you supposed to get them in and out of the seat easily like that? I was thinking behind the passenger seat......any thoughts?

The safest place is in the middle backseat, and the next safest is behind the passenger seat.
    We put ours behind the passenger seat as we found it far too awkward and hard on our backs to reach into the middle seat constantly.

I'm the same. The middle is the safest for accidents, but it's not the safest for your back IYKWIM! We put it behind the passenger seat too. Now we have two we have no choice anyway, they won't fit next to each other so we have to have one on each side.

catherine Guest

Thanks ladies. I will go for behind the passenger seat - I'm not very tall and we have a Honda CRV so I would probably end up crawling across the car to reach the seat if it was in the middle!

Jesse's is in the middle of ours.
    Does it matter where the hook is fitted in the car as to where the seat is does anyone know? DH has a Commodore and the only attachment is in the middle of the rear dash. Would we have to get one fitted on the passenger side to move the seat over there?

Ours is in the middle, The only time Kiara sits on the side is when we go shopping with a friend and each bubba is on the side... YES it is much easier on the side, but I want Kiara to be as safe as possible... I don't find it hard or akward at all getting her in and out from the middle.

That is just my opinion

I do believe modern Commodore's have anchor points behind all rear seats (any mechanic will be able to check for you), but you cannot use the anchor point from the centre if you wanted to put the seat on either side - you must use the one directly in line with where you wish to put the seat IFYWIM? Older models may well be different - tho depending on the car, extra anchor points can be fitted.

We've got our seat behind the passenger seat as well.... so much easier on my back and whilst I am not planning on any sort of accident, I do have faith in the side impact bars in my car.

Jodie259 Guest

When I got our car seat I phoned the manufacturer to find out the safest place. They said the middle because most accidents are side impact, and there are no airbags on the sides. So I put ours in the centre... and I have a new commodore which is pretty big. I have a "bad back" - but it hasn't bothered me to lean over to put DS in and out. And I am also able to have little mirrors to see his face all the time in my rear vision mirror.

He's over 8kg now (nearly 7 months old)... and I could turn him around to face forward. Although there was an article on television recently saying that Australians turn there kids far too soon, and they are safest in the rear position. So I might hold off for a little while longer.

Most people I know put the car seat behind the passenger seat - but I think it's more for convenience than anything else. I don't think it really matters.

The car seat company said that you have to move the seat to a side position if you have a 2nd child anyway.

Fee Guest

Qld Ambulance fitted ours and they said the left was best it's easy to get them in and out etc. I think if we'd had it in the middle then we would have had problems with BOTH of the front seats not being able to go all the way back.

Commodores have 3 anchor points in the back. In our one, the middle is set-up for immediate use, the other 2 points just need the bolt put in. Our car seat came with one just incase. I just just checked the Holden site and it quotes:
    The back seat is the safest place for children of any age. Where possible, install the child restraint in the centre rear position.
    Actually I find the middle position easy to use, it gives a lot of flexibility when parking, as sometimes in car parks the drivers side is the easiest to us depending on how close other cars are.

I have also read that the centre is the safest incase youre in an accident where you are hit on the side of your car. If the centre is just too impractical then behind the passenger seat, as you can stand on the kerb rather than on the road when getting baby in and out of the seat. We are putting ours behind the passenger seat as thats where the anchor point is in our car.

Ahh ok.. yeh he has a 2003 Commodore and i knew there was a flap where the car seat now attaches.. ive had a look and youre right there is 2 other points. Will have to get one fitted when Jess turns around.
    Thanks guys!

Fletch , We also have a Vectra (2000 model.. maybe 2001 cant remember) and it seems to have only one anchor point which is on the passenger side? Did you have to get yours specially installed in the centre or was it already there?
    Just asking because I want to put the seat in the centre if possible.

Karina we had a 1997 Vectra & it had 3 anchor points in it... I think by law they have to have 3 anchor points. You can always have the RACQ check for you, they do installations of car seats & do checks as well to ensure the seats are properly installed.