Thread: Why is it so...

Default Why is it so...

...that we live in basically water for 9mths in utero and that after we're born, we can't? Silly question i know, but i have been pondering this question all weekend! 8-[

Tegan, I sumtimes wonder too, but not in the middle of the night! You're hilarious!

Jess

Hi Tegan... before we're born we have no need for a respiratory system, as our mums do the breathing, blood circulation and oxygen etc for us. So the "water" provides a nice comfy environment where we don't bump ourselves on any sharp corners etc and our skin doesn't dry out.

But the human body needs oxygen to survive, so if we're not getting it from Mum, we have to do it ourselves (ie breathe the air)

Don't know if that helps....

Debbie Lee Guest

It's amazing, isn't it Tegan? The miracle of life.
    I still feel like Gabby wasn't the creature inside of me. I feel like we bought her from the hospital, LOL.

My premmie baby absolutely loves her bath - she looks completely content in the water and I'm sure it must remind her of being in the womb.

Yes, Lily loves her baths too. She just love to splash about and laughes and smiles.

Berry, that's great you bub loves her baths. It'd be horrible trying to wash a screaming baby, especially one so small like yours.

Yes it was a relief to find she enjoys baths as that was the deciding factor as to whether she is ready to have baths every second day (I don't get to have much physical contact with my beautiful bub, so it is lovely when I can cuddle and bath her). I was worried the water would shock her or something, but she just melted into the water as if it were the most natural thing for her.

Scarlett Guest

I used to wonder how we could hang upside down comfortably for so long, I asked my ob once and I think he thought I was a bit strange.

lol Scarlett. I have thought the same thing. I always think would all the blood go to your head?

Oooh I thought the same thing. Baby's turn around so early sometimes surely the blood rushes to their heads!

You know what , you girls think tooooo much, your making my brain hurt with all these deep thoughts, my deepest thoughts are, will I get a good day sleep, and will I have to get up to the toilet, You're putting me too shame!!!

LOL Tegan, I did much research on this when I was pg, not that I can remember any of it now OH heres a little. Babies have what is called a diving reflex, which is where basically the back of their throat closes up so that they don't inhale water, thats why they don't choke. Of course I was looking into it all because of the waterbirth. If theyt are born straight under water and don't have any air get to their face they won't take a breath and can stay under there for quite some time. Tehya was under for what seemed like 2 minutes and was fine. She absolutely loves her baths and has from day 1. I often wonder if it has anything to do with her birth.

As for the blood rushing to the head... I thought the same thing. Glad to see I'm not hte only one

Take care
    Trish

LOL Shannon!

Scarlett Guest

so I am normal after all....fwwww.