Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why are they saying he is FAT

Default why are they saying he is FAT

every one tells me nixon is massive .... and that he weighs as much as a 3 yr old etc ...

i thought he was fine , he has a healthy yummy diet and eats a wide range and there isnt much he wont eat ....

he is the only one who doesnt get juice or choc wafers or sugar on their weetbix in our mums group ,

he eats heaps but they are all good stuff .. has 3 meals a day plus snacks ..

this morning he has banana on wholeameal for bfast and a handful of blueberries , and just now for a snack he had rice snacks ..

he is about 14mths and 12kgs ..

why do ppl say "wow hes a whopper, he wont starve" or my 3 yr old is less than him ... even doctors say something ...

i didnt think he was fat , but now im worried he is .... because he is constanly eating , but i think its a growth spurt combiend with walking that is making him hungry ... but so often i get comments on my lil man im starting to think i am "abusing" him by feeding him too much

he gets 2 full fat milk bottles a day , probably 400 mls , 600 mls all up if you inclue youghurt ...

so what do i feed him now ??? what does a 14mth eat ? other than what im giving him ???

im and sick of ppl telling me im doing something to make him big ... he is in a size 1 and it fits fine ....

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/.../size/big/cat/

Lea - he looks fine to me!!!!!! He might be just a "big boy" and that is normal for him. I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think, can't expect to please everyone!!!! I always have people pick Aricyn up and go.. woahhh.. he's so heavy... and he's just under 10kgs at nearly 12 months. He's been this weight for a few months now, but I don't see a problem with it? I don't see a problem with a 14 month old being 12 kilos, as long as he is getting around and not suffering for it and is a "normal" little boy (normal for him, not to anyone else's standards) I wouldn't be too concerned. Go with your gut. Do what you think is right for him, not right for anyone else. :-)

Oh for goodness sake, I just looked it up on our Child Health record (http://www.health.vic.gov.au/childhe...hart_boys3.htm) and according to the chart, he's just into the 75th percentile (or just over the 50th percentile).

So to me, that means he's just fine.

I've been worried about Pip, and found this site to be very helpful: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/nutriti....htm#tipsheets cause I'm scared of feeding him solids!

you're his mum, you know what happens, and provided he's not obese - and in that case your MCHN will have something to say about that! - then what other people think is immaterial.

Keep up the good work hun

ETA - just looked at the photo, he looks fine!!!!

Your son is just fine. I have twin boys and one is bigger than the other and has always been since birth. People would always comment on how Jordy must eat all Xaviers food when in actual fact Xavier was always and still is eating more than Jordy. Its just the way Jordy is and I tell him he is a hunk of spunk and I love him to death. Just tell everyone to get stuffed and mind there own business.

Oh please don't worry - he is fine.

I LOVE a big chubby baby, my gf has a very solid little boy, I love grabbing and squishing him. I can't get over how heavy he is.
    I'd take it as a compliment, he is healthy and strong and that's what we all want!

My baby is around 10.5 kgs and he's only 7 months old. He was fully BFed till 6 months and now on only a few solids (he doesn't like food). Just rice cereal, potato, sweet potato and zucchini.

He's just a big boy and yeah, he looks fat, but he's just BFed most of the time so it's obvioulsy the way he's meant to look.

12kgs at 14 months sounds fine to me! At this rate, my baby will weigh a lot more than that at that age LOL. People always just have to comment :roll:

bah!! dnt listen to them lea he looks like a healthy little boy to me... Asha is 3mths now and she weighs almost 6kgs no one ever says she looks really big until i tell them how much she weighs ppl get fixated on numbers when if their healthy it really has nothing to do with it...
    the dr did once comment that asha was a big girl but she is within her healthy weightrange so we dnt worry about it.. his diet sounds great dnt worry about it

he sounds like a healthy little boy to me.

My GFs girls were all 12-13 kilos at their 12 month checkups, well up there on the charts, and all of them by the time they were 3 are petite little girls.

I used to get the same with Alex as he was that weight at that age and now he's slimmed out with how active he is he now weighs 15.5kilos. I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's hard not to and it's upsetting when ppl say something but he's fine.

He doesnt look fat and as someone else pointed out, his weight is very normal for his age.
    My bub is actually around 12 kg now and he is only 8 months old! He too isn't fat, he is just really tall. And as you say, he is eating a healthy diet. Kids shouldnt be on a calorie restrictive diet.

Also I think there is a difference between saying a bub is big and saying he is fat. Having a big healthy baby is something to be proud of and I am sure that is all they mean to say.

Oh, please don't doubt yourself! People say stupid things.
    My DD is a fussy eater and is fairly small... She's getting better, but there have been times I've worried that she's not eating enough and/or whether she might get sick etc. How wonderful it would be to have a child that likes food and eating!
    I think you must be doing a wonderful job feeding him those lovely nutritious fresh foods. He is a lucky boy to have such a caring mother. Keep up the good work

Dont worry, he looks great to me. my DD is 13months and weighs just over 11kgs, heaps of ppl call her chubby and say "oh u feed her well dont you?" but she has a great diet she only ever drinks water and loves her fruit and vegies. thats the way she is and shes healthy!

slyder Guest

"why are they saying he is FAT".

Why? Because they are stupid. And because they have nothing better to do than run around comparing children and living their whole lives through their kids.

Sorry, I don't ever post in these parts, but I have been really annoyed since I first saw this post and I couldn't hold it in any longer. Tell them to get stuffed and mind their own business. And do not under any circumstances waste your energy on even thinking about it. Morons. I would support any decision to smack each and every one of them between the eyes.

In fact, next time someone asks about his weight, ask them how they came to be so stupid and nosey.

Sorry. Rant over.

thank you every one .... normally this wouldnt be so trival to me , but over xmas i got so many comments on him , i heard someone call him a little fattie at our family xmas party ...

i didnt think he was fat but i know he is a big boy , but i have been doubting it lately ... especially when i hear it so much about it ...

Slyder , thanks for your rant , it made sense that ppl are just being nosey and rude , and maybe i should ask them if their weight is right for thier age ....

Kazbah , thanks for the links .. i didnt realise he was only in the 75th percentile ... i thought he would be into the 90th ....

all this kinda hit me at about 4am when i was wide awake and thinking of everything , i thought back to when dh made a comment about his tummy .... how its so round he has to slightly bend over to see his feet ..... (it was cute... but then i started to worry)

Hun, ever since I was pregnant, people have commented on Caden's size. Now I get the "is he a six month old" (he is 11 weeks old) and "wow, he is as big as my 14 month old daughter". Instead of being worried, I offer them my paediatricians phone number, because if thats the case, they need the help more than I do with their undernourished bubs!

Even at such a young age, and even in the womb, they are already measured, labeled and compared. No wonder there is so much anorexia and eating disorders in our community.

Just be happy. He looks absolutely beautiful and is obviously thriving on such a healthy diet. Even the occasional snack wouldn't hurt anyway, so dont' stress. I was soooo chubby as a bub, and have turned out pretty good. So have most of my friends.

Good luck babe!

I got the same comments about my ds even though his weight was always on par with his height according to the percentile charts (always around 98th for both.)

When he was 7 months old I actually had a paediatrition in the Childrens hospital say "this is where obese toddlers come from" to a group of students he was trying to impress. I took great offense and picked him up on it and embarrased him!

He looks gorgeous and healthy to me.
    I wouldn't listen a word that people are saying. If he's eating healthy food and getting adequate oppurtunity to move and excercise then he's growing exactly as he should.
    You're doing a great job - don't doubt yourself.

slyder Guest

You poor buggers. I don't know how you tolerate such rudeness about your kids. I advocate inflicting pain on all future people who offend you.

When we eventually get there, I'm going to carry a massive stick and fight off the rude hordes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast