Thread: Wind

Default Wind

Macauley is a very windy baby, and every night around 6.30pm he starts crying in pain from wind, i usually give him cooled boiled water and pat his back which usually gets rid of it in around 15/20 minutes, but tonight i have been trying for nearly 2 hours and now he is screaming, i have tried:
    BF
    Cooled boiled water with and without brown sugar
    Gripe water
    Infacol
    Leg circling
    Patting
    Rocking
    A warm bath
    I am all out of ideas, so if anyone has anything that i haven't tried it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

*hugs*

massage??

Thank Christy, i tried those too

the poor little might ended up crying himself to sleep in my arms

oh no Naomi, how heartbreaking!!!

how do you massage? Milo was really windy, I used to rub his tummy clockwise, and do "bicycle" movements with his legs.

TBH the best thing for me was holding him upright againts my chest, with one hand under his shoulder blades (Hold you hand up flat like you're making a STOP signal, theput your thumb out to make a L shape - I'd have the that part of my hand from thinb to figner under his shoulderblades). The other hand under his bottom. he really like the upright position, and when held close (not too tight) the slight pressure on his belly was often enough to get his wind up.

Naomi - both mine have been windy babies too - its pretty much realted to my letdown unfortunately.
    There are some suggestions around on how to handle the feeding side of things, so maybe we both need to concentrate on stopping it in the first place?

Last night we had the same thing, and ended up taking Hamish to bed with us so we could get some sleep. Poor little things - its so hard on their tummies.....

Naomi, I don't know if this works because Natalie isn't a really windy baby, but I had a reflexology session the other day and I learned that the arch of the left foot is related to the stomach. Wendy (reflexologist) suggested I do little circles with my thumb on the arch of the left foot if she's windy. Don't know if Macauley would be relaxed enough for this, but give it a go if you reckon it's worth a try. Hope he feels better soon.

Ray, that is usually how i massage him, i also do the bicycle movements

Fi, i think his wind is caused by my letdown too, way too fast, he has to gulp the first few mouthfuls even with me laying back

Amy, i will deffinitely try the reflexology next time, i didn't know about that one so thank you

Ahhh... for overactive let down I was told to express 1-2 squirts off before feeding to reduce the pressure... HTH!