Thread: Winter Wear in Nth Qld

Default Winter Wear in Nth Qld

Don't really know if this is the right spot for this but...

We are moving to Townsville shortly after many years in the south and was wondering how cool the nights are and thus what clothes I should be expecting to put my new bubs in at night for bed for Aug/Sept.

I've been given a few long leg/sleeve rompers and don't want to take the tags off and use them if they are only going to be in use for a couple of weeks until I head north.

Have been in the south too long -have forgotten what the northern weather is like (except for the hot!!! summers).

Hi Jaspen,
    My sister lives up in Townsville and atm she has her 3 month old son in a 2.5 tog grobag (she borrowed my old one for Aidyn) with a wondersuit underneath at night time.
    However I think you could easily get away with a 1.0 tog warmth as well up there.
    I know she said its gets cooler during the nights now, but I'm not sure about the daytime - whether you need long sleeves/legs or not. I assume that having a couple of long suits wouldnt go astray!
    Keep an eye on the weather forecasts up there... I'd say if its under 24 degrees during the day then you could definately get away with the longer sleeved/leg rompers.

Hi Jaspen, you never said you were moving, woohoo for you. Lived in Townsville for a couple of years. And still go there a few times a year. It never really get winter wooly cold, if you catch my drift, I used the sleeping bag for baby at night, this was warm enough. During the day my kids ran around in a skivvy and long pants but this often gets too hot. so they would end up in shorts and shirt.

Cool - thanks guys - seems my lighter weight stuff won't go to waste then at least at night and early morn.

Dee - yeh the moves sort of exciting and has really only come up in the last week or so but as per my email in baby buddies, life's been chaotic lately so really haven't had much of a chance to think about it all yet.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi Jaspen,
    We are currently based in Townsville with the RAAF and everyone finds it different when they first arrive up here. My hubby and I feel the cold here and are now wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts at night whereas some of our friends who haven't acclimatised from coming up from down south are still wearing shorts and tank tops, lol. It really depends on how your body acclimatises if your not used to it. At the moment the weather up here is kind of like spring in Sydney. Most days are around 26 degrees and early mornings are around 13. The first couple of weeks in August are usually the cold snap time when it gets down to around 8 degrees in the morning but still around 23 during the day. Our daughter is 6 months old and we are dressing her in long sleeve rompers of a night time and swaddling her in flanel wraps from Big W, we are finding that this is the right temperature for her as she is sleeping 10 hours of a night time. If it's really cold then we put an extra blanket on. The community nurse up here said that as a general guideline for babies apply one layer more than what your wearing. Hope this helps a little bit and hope you have a great move up to sunny Townsville.

Best Wishes
    Sharon

Thanks for that Sharon - I'll have to keep an eye on the temps but it certianly sounds like the kids could do with some light winter gear being kept out for at least night/early mornings and the odd day.