Thread: Won't go past 45 min for day sleeps

Default Won't go past 45 min for day sleeps

Help!! I am wondering if anyone could advise me on how to get Cooper to sleep longer in the day.

We went away on holidays for 2 weeks, and Coopers days sleeps went from two or three sleeps ranging from 1 - 2 hours, to no more than 3 x 45 min naps. We got back home last week, and whilst he is now able to put himself to sleep (I could really only put him to sleep in my arms whilst we were away), he just will not go past the 45 min.

Do a lot of babies live on sleeps like this? Everyones babies I know sleep longer, and whilst Cooper is OK on this amount of sleep, I find that he does go hyper when he doesn't have much sleep.

I put him to bed anywhere from 6-7.30 (I was able to get him to bed religiously at 6 until we went away). He also wakes up in the night anywhere from 1-4 times a night - there is no set pattern.

I have tried everything. Patting him, letting him cry for a little bit, self settling - EVERYTHING (or am hoping someone can give me some other suggestions.

He has one bottom tooth up, and I can see another one popping up next to it (hasn't cut the gum yet though)

Thank you

Hi Mum2boy- My twin boys used to have what I called Bubba naps during the day. It was about the same time a cooper. May be its just because he is teething. But my boys sort of grew out of it. Now the have 1 sleep in the morning for about 11/2 to 2 or sometimes 3 hours if I am lucky. They are 21 months on sunday.

Hi Mum2boy - my DD was a shocker for this when she was a baby. Basically, babies sleep in cycles of 45 mins, so what is happening is that Cooper is going to sleep but waking after one sleep cycle.

I ended up getting help from Tresillian because it was doing my head in, a baby needs to sleep more than 45 mins at a time to be truly rested.

Basically when he wakes up after 45 mins, you need to go in and resettle him to sleep, however you usually do this. Try to do it without picking him up out of his bed.

I used to just sit quietly next to DDs cot without making eye contact or engaging her in any way and pat her until she went back to sleep. Most of the time it worked, but sometimes it took ages and sometimes it just didn't work!

It is totally frustrating at the time but I'm glad we persevered because my DD has been a champion sleeper ever since. I know mum's who just thought it was better to go with the flow and not sort out their sleeping dramas and they are still having them now, 2 years later!

In your case, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take long at all because from what I can gather from your post, it's only a recent habit that he's developed? So the sooner you nip it in the bud, the better!

Good luck!!

My babies have always been like this. It was only around 10 months plus that they started sleeping longer stretches during the day. If they were happy, so was I. I tried not to stress out about it - it only made things worse.

My DD has always been a cat napper having 3x 30min sleeps, we were told that 15% of bubs are cat nappers and if they are waking happy and seem to be rested on that amount its not a problem.

Just recently she has cut down to 2 naps and is starting to sleep little longer. She sleeps what she needs.

It could just be a phase or just be the way he is. I remember I used to spend alot time trying to get my DD to get thru another sleep cycle but she would just get upset and I would get upset so I gave up and accepted it. If your son is waking happily I wouldn't worry.