Thread: Won't sleep without sleep wrap.

Default Won't sleep without sleep wrap.

I had to wash Lily's sleep wrap and as we dont have a dryer it took forever to dry. She needed her nap so i tried to put her in her cot without the wrap. She stood up, cried and screamed until someone picked her up again. She was extremely tired and very cranky but just would not sleep without her wrap. I'm thinking it may be a like a security thing. I would like to put her into a 'big bed' before #2 is born, so in around 4-5mths but i want to get her used to sleeping without the wrap but it seems almost impossible as she's slept in it since she was about 3mths old. I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea to have her in it in the big bed and also don't want her attached to it for a long time. Help!

Hi Tegan,

Have you tried a grobag? Lily is older than Evan, but Evan was always wrapped from newborn and wouldn't sleep without it. But when i made the decision to buy a grobag (a little hesitantly because of the price and i wasn't convinced he would sleep in it!) Evan loved it and made the transition straight away without any dramas at all at 7 months. It could be the step inbetween cot and big bed? I was actually wondering the other day what age children start to sleep in a real bed so thanks for answering my question!!

Linds

Hi Tegan,
    Its very common for kids from Lily's age and onwards to have some sort of security toy or blanket/blankie.
    They will usually grow out of it within a couple of years anyway.

Aidyn has his favourite blankie, that he has been using since birth. I cut it into two, so now if I need to wash one I always have a spare. He takes it to daycare with him, and everytime he goes to bed, and sometimes he will get it out of his cot just to give it a cuddle.

IMO there is nothing wrong with it at all, and letting Lily keep using the wrap may just make the transition to her big girl bed a bit easier for her.
    And you could also try what I did, by cutting it in two, so there will always be one available for her....

Or is there a particular reason why you are not wanting her to sleep with the wrap?

HTH!

Ok, what i mean by wrap, is one of those safeTsleep sleep wraps, that ones that a piece of material goes around the matterss and another piece of material goes around Lily. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry for misunderstanding you there Tegan!!!

Ummm... maybe you could start off by wrapping her in the piece that goes around her, but not actually securing her down if that makes sense?
    So she will be used to it around her, but will have to get used to the freedom of being able to move around.
    Then the next stage would be to try her again without it... but probably not for a few weeks?

I wish it was as simple as that. The two pieces are sewn together like that lol. Maybe i'll just have to let her have it? I dunno.

Argh bugger, I didnt realise they were sewn together....
    Well, is there anyway that you can put her in it without securing it properly/tightly around her, so she can begin to get used to rolling free?

Hmm..maybe. I'll try that tomorrow night. I have no other ideas!

Could you just pop it in the cot with her? So she can smell it & cuddle it, but no so much...need it!??

I really am not sure??