Thread: worms!

Default worms!

Im not sure if anyone can help, but thought maybe someone with more than one child could help. My eldest has got worms (the joys of parenthood) and Im wondering if it's likely my 4 month old could get it, and if so can she be treated? Hopefully she wont' have it, but now Im wondering if that's maybe why she's been unsettled at night. Thanks
    xoxo

mooshie Guest

meg

sorry can't help you with your question, but i am curious to know how did you know that matilda had worms??? i have often wondered if my ds has them, but am not sure if the signs people saw are true or not eg eating lots and having an itchy bum, i would love to know what to be on the look out for oh and also do you know how they get worms??

thanks

Meg

Baby can get worms, they are spread not only by coming into contact with people who have them, but the eggs can also survive up to 2 weeks on bedding, carpets etc. and can be ingested that way. As for treatment, some treatments aren't suitable for baby's under 12months, but check with your GP or pharmacist coz the whole family should be treated if one person has worms, as well as all bedding etc washed. But I can sympatise with your poor dd having them. I seemed to get them quite often in primary school(how embarrassing! ), so know how horrible it feels!

Mooshie, as for 'diagnosing' worms, the itchy bum is a definite sign, and (from experience )they seem to be more active at night. My mum always knew what it was when i woke in the middle of the night crying from an itchy bum...If it does happen, with a quick check of your childs bottom you should be able to confirm that's what it is.

The theorys I've heard about how you get them include playing in the sand, and the big one was biting your nails (which I did quite badly). Don't know how true either of these are, they're probably just scare tactics used to stop me from biting my nails when I was a child! I do know that you can't get them from your pets though, that's a different type of worm.

Hope that helps a little bit, they sound scary, but are more embarassing than anything.

Bel

Thanks guys. I read yesterday that they are spread so easily and it can be not washing hands after toilet, or biting nails etc. i would say the kids aren't so hygenic at school. DD even said the tap doesnt' work very well, so I imagine heaps of the kids have them...Yuk!!
    I knew that because she was so itchy she had them, then I checked and saw one. Poor child!! So far only DH and DD have had the tablets, Im going to ring my chemist this morn to see what medication bub can have and if I can have it bf.
    thanks again xo

Ive been told by two chemists this morning that i shouldn't take anything for worms while breastfeeding, so that means only DH and DD can be treated. im the one touching my daughters all the time, so im sure I'll get them. Has anyone taken medication for worms while bf? I know I did a couple of months ago when we thought DD had worms, I took combantrim. Now Im thinking I shouldn't have and am all worried. xo

I took combantrim whilst bf'ing. We spoke to the chemist about it and she said it was ok for me to have 1 treatment, we just couldn't treat Maggie. DH had to have more was he works with sewer line. Not sure if we had worms, but I saw a big one in toilet, could have been us or one of the builders who had been around, so we took combantrim to be on the safe side. I think you need to go to the doctor to have a baby treated.

Hi Meg
    Combantrin is ok when breastfeeding but should not be given to children less than 1 year old. I am unable to find anything that you can treat a 4 month old with. You may have to look for a natural product.

hi all
    with worms do the babies get a little red rash (with dots) around the bum???
    N has this and I have no idea what it is, not cleared up with desitin or weleda rash cream - he doesnt seem to have any issues duringday but has been unsettled at night... not seen any worms in the poo...

Hi Pregpan
    Worms do not cause a rash